Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Another Disturbing Dream

 

A decent night's sleep has become somewhat of a rarity for me now that I hail from the older than dirt community. My normal sleep patterns recently are short fitful slumbering moments interrupted by glazed eye, foggy brained semi awake moments while I sit in the kitchen sipping water or head to the bathroom to drain that water I sipped earlier. And always in those foggy moments, I am wondering if this is going to be another night of shitty sleep.

Last night however, I struck preemptively. Somewhere between 10 and 11, I shut down the TV, took off my glasses and consciously made an effort to fall asleep. And fall asleep I did. Five hours later at four o'clock AM, my bladder woke me up. 

Excellent. Five plus hours of uninterrupted dreamless slumber. My eyes were wide open. My brain felt clear and ready to take on the day. .......... But why get on with the day when I seemed to be on a good sleeping roll? So I laid down and was asleep again in minutes.

So much for dreamless slumber. The extra hour of sleep I paid for with a dream that woke me up kind of gasping for breath. 

I won't call it a nightmare. It was only the last moments of the dream that bothered me. But it was that final climax that forced the memory of the rest of the dream out into the ether where dreams go to be forgotten. I sure would have liked the finale to be the part I forgot.

It seems in this dream it was not clear if I was an active participant , just a witness, or maybe a disembodied presence who happened to be in the area. Regardless, the scene, from what I can recollect took place in a school, community, group home where everyone, men mostly, were dressed in red. It was a community of workers creating food for others.

The last scene I remember ...... Oh, I just now remembered I was indeed an active participant. I drove the delivery truck that delivered the raw resources for the food the red people turned into prepared meals. ......... I backed into the loading dock. I lifted the roll up door. Red clothed workers hustled right in to unload. Their supervisor I assume, stood on the loading dock and said something to the effect, 

" Ahh, Looks good driver. Good job".

Since I had picked up this load blind by just hooking up the already loaded trailer, I had no clue what the load looked like. It had seals on the locked latch. I turned to look in the trailer, ........... Piles of rotten vegetables, what looked like buckets of puke, and almost next to me, dead human bodies piled five high on a rugged looking skid. The smell was overwhelming. My nausea was instantaneous.

That is when I woke up. 

With dreams like this, who needs nightmares?

Keep it 'tween the ditches ................................................

_____________________________

I came up with a tune duet for this post.  "Dream Weaver" , by Gary Wright. His song is certainly a happier tune than my dream.

And then I found a long lost Fleetwood Mac tune, "The Green Manalishi" . This song was recorded when Peter Green was the heart of the band and before they sold out to became just another Pop band.

___________________________


3 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

The dream sounds very unpleasant, but the sleep was a positive.

The effect you put on the photo you used for this essay….. I have to say it is a really cool effect!

PipeTobacco

peppylady (Dora) said...

I don't judge my dream or night mare. I find them all interesting.
Coffee is on and stay safe

One from Ukraine said...

That is one good explainable "nightmare".
Ones which leave you in cold sweet is much worse.
And ones which feel you with non-ending sorrows, worse even.