Monday, August 01, 2022

Sinking to Their Level

Back in the 1990's during the early days of the Internet, I could be found roaming around what were called "News Groups". These predecessors to Internet Forums were no holds barred chat rooms where folks discussed, argued and yes, cussed each other all the time. 

It seemed though, there were unspoken rules that as a noob, I sometimes learned the hard way and sometimes watched others learn the hard way. Among the many rules I learned back then was never call anyone a Nazi, never invoke Hitler, because when you did, the argument was over and you lost. You lost because invoking Nazis or Hitler showed you were too lazy or stupid to offer sound logic to defend your view. It was the News Group equivalent of saying, "Oh yeah, well, uh, so's YO Momma!"

Now almost 30 years later, the Internet has 5 billion or so users and any rules of Internet decorum on the various social media platforms has been thrown under the bus. People invoke the Nazis and Hitler all the time. I know better and even I have on occasion when I thought the situation warranted it. 

The other troubling aspect of 5 billion people using the Internet is facts and truth have no place here anymore. Oh, they have their place, but it appears no one cares much about them. Facts just get in the way.

I do not think there is anyone who can claim they hate Marjorie Taylor Greene more than I do. She's a despicable lowlife scum sucking bottom feeder who represents a very dangerous contingent of other low life Americans who want to turn this country into a theocracy. They call themselves Christian Nationalists and want to run my life, your life, everyone's lives. They will lie, cheat, and suck up to leaders like Trump to weasel their way into our lives.

Sadly, those who oppose Marjorie Taylor Greene seem to have fallen down that same well. It seems it is okay now to use the same tactics the lowlifes use to fight their movement. I am all for using the same intensity to fight them, but I stop at knowingly using false information to push forward my point.

I came across the split image on Twitter. Like many folks I am sure, I downloaded it and was ready to post on my Facebook page. But then I considered that Marjorie Taylor Greene may have the intellect of a toaster, but I don't think she would steal a quote attributed to Hitler. So I checked. And I checked. I actually spent some real time, not just minutes, trying to prove she did indeed steal this quote from Adolf. I found nothing but the Quote on the right. Snopes did confirm Hitler as the originator of the quote. He said it in a speech in the 1920s. But no where did I find even a hint of MTG plagiarizing his quote.

So anyway, I spent some time this morning looking for my center again. The place where I give more than token attention to getting my facts right. I will not willingly sink to the same level as the White Wingin Right's enthusiastic destruction of factual truth in order to fight them.

Keep it 'tween the ditches ........................

______________________

Music for this post  ............ Hmm. "Losing My Religion", REM


3 comments:

One from Ukraine said...

Oh, had conversation of it just today.

Where it was said promptly and sincerely that: "fascism can mean many things".

That is dangerous. And not because I trying to protect nazis or something.
Quite contrary, as now we are under attack from current time embodiment of nazism.
But because it cannot, must not, be both in the same time: be so damning, and be so easy to twist, to redirect its meaning.
It cannot be decided with that who screams "you are nazi! NO, YOU R NAZI!!!" more loudly.
Modern world gives lots of way to those who want to scream just overwhelmedly louder... like when Putin declares that his war against Ukraine is "just", because he killing "nazis" here. :-(((
(well, he can do that, because World allowed him to kill "islamists" in Syria before that)


I myself thinking about how to redefine that damn thing. To clear it off superficial meanings, which makes it possible to twist so easily.
Like, if you are christian -- Hitler was cristian too, so you are like Hitler (which he was not, no matter what lip service he used)
(did you know that he was vegitarian too? so what, we can, or must call vegans fascists too???:-0)


So, I came to this definition. That there is no "fascists" or "nazis".

There is "criminal states".
Same way as individual people can decide to go rough way, to became outlaws.
Whole states and nations, from time to time, can decide that they are so great, or sneaky, or brave, or... whatever.
So they can ignore and overthrow what deemed as must do and equal to all people/nations around.
And we, as we the people, must decide what to do with such people/states. And promptly. Not as oustriches or giraffes. 'Cause now life on the whole Earth depend on it. 'Cause we must grow in understanding that we are pilots of one and only, undispensable and unreplaceable Spaceship Earth. So, ka-booms in a quarters, not allowed. Strictly.

yellowdoggranny said...

she's such a cunt that when she breaths it smells like douche.

The Blog Fodder said...

Sorry, but Fascism, Nazism and Hitler describe exactly what is going on today. Refusing to acknowledge it is what got us into this mess. You heard Orban's speech. You have heard all the Republicans speak promoting violence against all who are not like they are. You can see what Putin is doing and read or listen to his people explain why. They want to erase Ukraine like the Nazis erased the Jews. I will not play nice and pretend it is something else.