Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Convincing vs Insisting

The meme to the right passed through my Facebook feed this morning. It seems a straight forward declaration of believing what I want as long as no one insists on me believing as they do. ......... Okay, Fine. Sounds wonderful. Tolerance with a clear line defined where the tolerance stops.

I punched up a like icon and moved on.

Obviously since I am writing about this morning encounter on Facebook, the meme bothered me in some way. And it did bother me.

Humans often allow themselves to believe other people condemning their personal beliefs is some kind of egregious assault on their right to believe as they want. In fact it is only showing disrespect and in the scheme of things carries no weight whatsoever. 

I notice it more in meme's that are obviously generated by the Wingers of the  Right. But that does not mean meme's coming from Libtards don't often leave the same impression. I don't notice the winger meme's more I guess because well,  I am a commie pinko LGTBQ lovin tree hugging loser Libtard from the woods up here in Maine.

Regardless, inferring that someone insisting a change in mindset somehow magically will force another someone to comply is bullshit. No one can tell us what to think unless we let them; even if they try to do so through physical intimidation or legislation.

Our thoughts and beliefs are the only tangible things we truly own. That they may be based on fables, lies, or just something we came up with on our own, they are ours and no one can take them away even if we agree to it. As long as the belief lives between the ears, no agreement and no outward public display carries any weight. We believe what we believe until we don't. 

Okay fine.

It is also okay to insist that others believe as we do. If we do go down the insistence road however, we should not get our panties in a bunch when there is serious resistance to our insistence afterwards. Insisting someone change doesn't work as well as convincing them to change. And it is probably a good idea to start with convincing before insisting. But I will say some good ole foot stompin righteous insistence can result in some satisfaction no matter how poorly deserved it may be.

And that's what crossed my mind this AM while I sipped my first coffee.

Later ......................................


BTW - I did check this over I thought before I originally posted. Apparently I was lost in a moment of deluded grandeur. I have harshly edited now and hopefully it actually makes the point I came here to make. .......... OOPS.

____________________________

Damn, I pick some stupid shit to write about and then cannot think of a tune to go with it. ..........

Well, I ran across a Bob Dylan song that immediately brought back a memory of a disappointment in love from my past. It was probably the only time so far in my life, my heart was truly broken. Took me some time to get over it, maybe a month or so. ........ No, I lie.

During that month of wasted anguish, I bet I listened to this song 100 times. It was our song; the song after we turned that final corner and she went away...... "Don't think twice, its alright".

What does it have to do with the post? Well, I can see a connection. Maybe you will too.



No comments: