Sunday, May 14, 2023

Happy Mother's Day


When one's ability to remember dates of importance has never been stellar, once one gets to old fart ages, it becomes easier to come up with excuses. But no matter the excuse, the date is often skipped over by a clueless spouse, relative or friend who are too busy in their own world than to notice anyone else's.

Once again, I missed the Hallmark moment that today is all about until reminded by Willie Geist on "Meet the Press". He acted all the loving son and told us he had texted his mother this morning.

My wife and I were enjoying some tube cinnamon buns. I turned to her: 

"Oh yeah, by the way, Happy Mother's Day. Sorry I missed it."

"Don't you always?" 

No, she did not say that. But she probably should have. While technically, I have not forgotten all of those important dates; the collection of the ones I remembered are barely a hill of beans compared to ones I left unnoticed.

And just to emphasize just how unprepared I am for this particular date, I am re-running a previous salutation I came up with, I think, a couple of years ago.

To all the long suffering mothers out there:

Happy Mother's Day !

____________________________

I could not think of a better song to share today than "You are the Sunshine of my Life", by Stevie Wonder. It celebrates my wife, my daughter and to some degree all the women I have come to know.