Monday, May 29, 2023

Memorial Day, 2023

 


It's Memorial Day, 2023. We are supposed to take some moments today to remember the soldiers, living and dead, who fought in America's name in our past. A laudable and sobering day that, on the face of its original intent, has morphed into something quite different.

That is not a bad thing necessarily. Everything evolves, mutates, and finds new ways to stay relevant. What once was meant to be a solemn day comprised of millions of moments of silence and flag waving has become also a celebration of BBQ's, beach visits, and parades on Main Street. Even the most apathetic and uninformed citizens look forward to this day. We all don't have the same incentives or moments we use to celebrate, but all in all, we ease up on our partisan differences, come together and celebrate being American.

I guess I have nothing else to say........ Oh, who am I kidding? I have plenty more to say, but today is not the day. 

Celebrate the loved ones who served and the loved ones who did not come back. It is still really their day and not a day to light fires.

Later ....................................

_______________________

I was thinking of some anti-war tunes from my youth to tie in with this post. But I figured that I rant and rave against war enough the rest of the years, I oughta take a break and post up a tune I ever heard from George Jones, that Country Crooner of my youth with the excellent Jar Head flat top. Nobody could sing the "my dog died" Country music like he could. Please enjoy his version of "50,000 Names on the Wall". And by the way, the image of the Marine near the end is George.


No comments: