Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Reading

Another question post passed through my feed on Facebook awhile ago. I donated 2 or 3 seconds of my ever present poor attention span and considered its worth. If the posts don't grab me by then, I'm quickly a scrolling fool again. This one stopped long enough that now an hour later I am still thinking about it.

What Books Have Changed Your Life?

At first I followed directions and tried to think of the books that might have changed my life. In my mind I began to line up previous books I had read in my past. More than few held up their hands, some even shook those hands while screaming, "Pick me, Oooh ooh pick me".

As the line became longer and the titles grew more loudly anxious to be at the top of the list, I decided there was no one book I could point to that changed my life. I can only imagine their disappointment and all the expletives mumbled  as they returned to the back rows they ran down from.

Not being able to answer the question quickly and with assurance that this was the book does not mean there was no book. It means that I was caught flat footed by the question with no quick answer at the ready.

I made coffee, finished emptying the dishwasher and considered what I would surprise my wife with for dinner. I smiled then at the thought of me cooking. It doesn't happen as often as it should I guess and when it does, thankfully, I often pull it off. It would be a bitch to cook and fail. I'd be a real sad sack then. ....

Back on track Mike........ Jeezum.

I decided that it was not a book but learning to read a book that changed my life. A fact I have taken for granted these past 70 years. Of all the things I learned, how to swim, drive a car, and how to properly wear a holster when playing cowpokes and indian folks, reading is without a doubt the most valuable tool I picked up to help me make it from the cradle to the grave. 

But if I was cornered and had to pick the one book that changed my life, ................... It would be the first book I read out loud for one or both of my parents. According to the story my mom told me, I read "Little Engine" out loud before I was four. I think though, the truth of it might be that I had memorized the text after having it read to me multiple times multiple times before I was asked to read it myself. And again maybe not.

Keep it 'tween the ditches .............................................

_____________________

Music for this post is "Paperback Writer" - the Beatles. Enjoy the memories.


8 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

To me, there is a list of books that were very influential to me:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance- Persia

Brave New World - Huxley

Walden Two - Skinner

Green Hills of Africa - Hemingway

Blue Highways - WLH Moon

Fahrenheit 451 - Bradbury

Cat’s Cradle- Vonnegut

Each book was amazing for me in different ways.

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

Damn autocorrect…. “Persia” should read “Persig”

One from Ukraine said...

PipeTobacco

Yeah. Pretty much every scifi book. Especially short forms. Frederuk Brown for example. ;)

yellowdoggranny said...

I think instead of individual books that changed me I would pick authors..H.Allen Smith, taught me about humor, James Lee Burke taught me about control lack of it and the love of New Orleans.The Bible...taught me that Christians don't walk the walk...I just fucking love books..finishing up an autobiography by Waylon Jennings..damn...you have to go to youtube and find Norwegian Woods by Waylon Jennings...sigh****

MRMacrum said...

Pipe Tobacco - Certainly there were books that influenced and possibly helped me find my way. Several from your list would be on my list. But I really feel before I give credit to any of the great books I read credit, I should first acknowledge the one book that kicked off the future torrent of words that would come and sweep me away.

One from Ukraine - SciFi was and still is my overall favorite genre, with short stories at the head of the class. Bradbury, Ellison, Asimov and Phillip K. Dick to name a few opened my eyes to possibilities beyond the confines of my planet bound mind.

yellowdoggranny - You know, I think I am more like you. It is the authors not their individual books that helped me find my way.

PipeTobacco said...

I agree with you Mike, I was just listing a few that especially struck me profoundly over the years.

PipeTobacco

MRMacrum said...

Pipe Tobacco - I did not mean to act as if I disagreed with you at all. Sorry.

One from Ukraine said...

Well, would it be too shameless to suggest couple of names to that list.
But well, there is too many authors, that produced high quality short texts, brilliant in itself.

I'll try to add only one name here -- Stanislav Lem -- virtually unknown on the West, but he is one who I can name as one, from whose books I learned a lot.

I know for the very least his "Solaris" is known. But I regard as pinnackle of his writing other text -- Golem XIV -- about a santient computer, phylosopher, talking to a human about things like Destiny of the Humankind.