Wednesday, April 27, 2022

An Epilog or a Memorian Maybe - Take Your Pick

A few days ago I found out a best friend from my youth passed away back in 2018. He spent his last days in hospice and died of some kind of cancer. I had not physically interacted with him in over forty years. And in that forty years we had only one conversation over the phone in 2010. I wrote about our conversation in a blog post, "The Phone Call".  It shines some light on the complicated relationship we had with each other as young men.

In the 1960's and 70's we shared the six or seven years in a life young boys spend floundering their way to almost adulthood. Neither Jim nor I made this transition easy on anyone, including ourselves. We were the troublemakers and bad influences our friends' parents warned their children about. I remember resenting it then, but I will own it now. We asked for trouble, we found trouble and sadly some of our dumb ass friends got caught up in our madness. We each had our own reasons for being so angry, but angry teenagers we were.

The adventures we cooked up, the teen aged drinking, the drugging that we participated in, and the shared unwillingness of both of us to sit up straight and fly right ended with the two of us being sent to Charlotte Hall Military School in southern Maryland. Jim went a year before I did. When the Montgomery County school system booted me out, I petitioned my parents to send me to the same school Jim was going to. I figured I would have at least one friend.

We weren't total losers. We just couldn't stop pushing the boundaries we felt trapped in. We got involved in stupidity that today I just shake my head at and wonder how we did not kill ourselves. We got away with so much and still ended up living full lives. Well Jim dying at age 67 may not be considered a "full life"to most folks, but let me just say that anyone who really knew him knows he was lucky to have lasted that long, which the begs the question, how is it I am still breathing? 

So I am wondering why I am so focused on a friendship that lasted barely a decade fifty plus years ago that ended with a serious bad taste in both our mouths. I guess I am not so much sad at Jim's passing, but maybe more that I wish I had done more to mend the rift between us. I probably will not miss him in the future, but I sure will miss the friendship we had and then ruined.

Rest in Peace old friend. Be kinder to yourself wherever you are now.

_______________________

   I found this tune the night I found out Jim had passed. Coincidence? Who cares? If the tune fits, play it.   "Too Old to Die Young" - Brother Dege



6 comments:

Bobalooski said...

Nice to be able to time travel and reconnect…even when it’s just in your head. Breathe deep. Smile broadly.

PipeTobacco said...

He seemed like a very interesting friend. The other post you linked to didn’t seem to end badly (which I thought you were suggesting).

When I first glanced at the album cover I thought it was an outtake photo of George Harrison from the “All Things Must Pass” multiple album, and it had me thinking about the song, “What is Life?” which is a favorite of mine.

PipeTobacco

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm so about the lost of your friend. But I to was one who push the boundaries. So does that mean we know how to think outside of box.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Anonymous said...

I remember Snake well. I was saddened when I found out John Maupin had passed, and it turned out he was another Frederick MD guy, a d lived about ten miles from me

Anonymous said...

Very kind and honest remembrance! I’ll miss Snake as well. Thankful for all the laughs and mischievous.

Anonymous said...

When a friend passes, it is indeed an opportunity to reflect and remember. Blessings on you and these days