Saturday, August 17, 2024

Hope I Die Before I Get Old

It would appear I blew it. That horse left my barn sometime ago. But I do remember embracing these lyrics after I saw The WHO perform "My Generation" on the "Smothers Brothers Show" in 1967. Their performance blew me away. I was 15 years old and had a seriously large chip on my 15 year old shoulder. The lyrics became my teen years anthem. I was going to damn well try to live up to the commitment. Old people sucked. Middle aged people (my parents) were worse. They didn't understand me or what Life was like for me at age 15.

I hoped many times I would not make it past 50, so I entered my "don't give a fuck" period and there came times when it appeared I was living up to the challenge.

Somehow I survived the years of living dangerously and became domesticated. Self preservation replaced Self destruction and the next thing I know, I have a wife, a kid, and I am no longer just living for myself. And though my crazy years were excellent overall, I am so grateful I settled down and became a positive cog in the world around me. My life as a husband, a father, and now a burgeoning old fart have been and are the best years of my life. 

As it turns out, hoping to die young was a fucking stupid idea.

Keep it 'tween the ditches .......................................

<><><><><><><><><><><><>


1 comment: