Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Just Another Day in Paradise

So Channel 6 apparently did not want to upset or anger its viewing audience too much with the latest weather report. Yes, most of us here in Maine are ready for Mud Season to begin. Winter is so yesterday's news. Or should be.

Channel 6 called for 10 + inches here in the pucker of southern Maine. But then I ran across an official government weather station forecast from up Gray, Maine way and well, they are claiming 12" to 18". While Channel 6 is not lying, they are clearly trying to stay on my good side.

The new twist for this storm is that it is a Nor'Easter and most of Maine is solidly in its path. The last winter Nor'Easter was well I can't remember. No matter which direction the snow comes from, we can get nailed hard. 

As I look out there this morning, the white crap looks to be falling at better than 2 inches an hour. There will be more broken branches and downed trees to add to the already impressive piles built up over the last couple of months. The storms though have been a boon here on Sam Page Road. The big pine out back has already dropped enough branches to increase the square footage that will be sunny this summer. And from the looks of things now, some more branches look to be in trouble and that is okay. More sunlight out back is good.

More sun over a wider area this summer will allow me more options about where I place my first raised garden in over 20 years. I miss the outstanding vegetables I used to grow. I sit here now and realize that giving up the garden was a regret for sure. We'll see if I can recapture some of that gardening magic of growing food for my belly and not just for my head.

All this snow in the past month has told me that I no longer have the enthusiasm for this white crap as I used to. I especially hate cleaning it out of the back of my pick-up now that I am sporting 70 year old knees and hips. 

So, I just spent the last so many minutes checking into a tonneau cover for the pick up. The last time I even considered one was back in the 1990s when I had a notion to trick out my new used 1989 Datsun?Nissan 4x4 pick-up that had been delicately owned by some city guy over to Portland. Anyway, there are quite a number of covers out there now over what was available back in the day.

After I had found a cover I liked, I decided to use the site's chat format to ask some questions. Samantha was very nice but no help at all at the moment. She needed a picture of the inside of the bed to more accurately answer my question. I told her I wasn't going out there to take a snapshot of my pick-up bed. I was warm and dry. With all that snow coming down, I told her I'd get back to her. Well Samantha is a smart ass. After she had said her goodbyes til next time, she snark-ly wrote, "Don't send that stuff down here to Florida".

I wanted to but didn't write back, "If you can keep your transgender governor within your borders, I will do my best".

She's not the only one with snark, even if I left it unsaid, I thought about it hard. ...... So there Samantha.

Keep it 'tween the ditches .........................................

_______________________________

I figured given there's more snow than makes sense out there, the tune today ought to be in some way connected to the white crap coming down. Googles "songs about snow". Lo and behold, an excellent Hot Chili Peppers' tune I have not played in years popped up. Here is "Snow (Hey Oh)". Damn, they are good.


4 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

I'll take snow over Florida any time

Anonymous said...

That snow in the back of your truck is weight that will help give you better traction.

Anonymous said...

Thought I was signed in, but

Kulkuri said...

I'll try again, leave the snow in back of the truck. The weight is good for traction. That's what I do when UP on the tundra.