Thursday, March 31, 2022

Things That Go Bump in the Night


When I was a child I was sure there were indeed things that went bump in the night, monsters under the bed, and closet creatures just waiting with bated breath to snatch me up and take me to their lairs. My parents would be understanding but firm about it being my problem, not theirs. 

My dad would grunt, "Go back to sleep Bug, there's nothing to fear."

Nothing to fear? Who was he kidding? Sinister Evil loitered in every nook and cranny of my room. But I would suck it up and cringe under the covers until the need to sleep overcame the need to be scared.

Eventually I learned to not fear the figments of my imagination. Rather, I embraced them, let them play out their worst case scenarios and then parked them in the dusty file marked "Get a Grip Mike".

Yet even now, fifty years later, when the flashlight is on, sometimes a figment will find its beam.

Keep it 'tween the ditches ..........................................
__________________________________

Tune for this post , "Haunted", by Evanescene



3 comments:

Ol'Buzzard said...

When I was a kid I lived three blocks from the Joy movie theater (There were only four blocks in our small Mississippi Delta town) The movie cost ten cents, popcorn ten cents and a coke a nickel. I would work in my uncles grocery store on Saturday and earn a quarter. Saturday night I would attend the movies: Wolf Man, Dracula - I especially liked horror movies. When the movie was over I would walk home. The downtown block had lights and I would whistle and stroll non-concerned; then hit the last two blocks that were dark and run like a bat out of hell the rest of the way home. Just because I knew they didn't exist didn't mean they weren't waiting for me!
the Ol'Buzzard

peppylady (Dora) said...

I even recall boogy man.
Coffee is on and stay safe

yellowdoggranny said...

I was good until I watched some 50's horror movie..I don't watch horror movies anymore..scare the shit out of me and I don't need that.