Wednesday, March 09, 2022

My Spot

This has become one of my favorite spots in the house. It certainly is not much of a spot. It is cold and drafty in the winter and in the summer, any biting bugs that are around tend to congregate here when I do. There is no chair, it is a standing room only spot. It took me 30 plus years to find this spot in my house. 

Often, when I am occupying this spot I am reminded of Carlos Castenada and his "Teachings of Don Juan". In this book of a personal journey to enlightenment, Don Juan takes Carlos into a shack with no furniture and tells him his first challenge is to find his "spot". He will know this spot when he finds it. Carlos spends hours trying to find his spot. Just as he begins to think Don Juan is just another loony tune old Mexican, he finds his spot. This is the point in the book I think when Carlos begins to shed his skepticism and began to accept the possibility of true enlightenment.

 When in "his spot", Carlos finds more profound meaning in his thoughts and the world around him. He feels that in this spot, he is safe. He is connected to the rhythms of the Universe. This spot was his and his alone. No one else would benefit from existing in this spot like he does. It was here his future connections to what is beyond conscious thought would take place.

Of course I have never expected anything so grand from any spot I chose to dwell in for any length of time. My spot has yet to release me from my worldly shackles. I cannot say that this spot has the power of Carlos' spot in that shack. It does however offer me a space I can create my own chaos free from the intrusive chaos and background noise out in the world existing beyond my window. It provides me with a safe haven as I bring order to the self inflicted chaos I have allowed to stink up the clutter that makes up my mind..

This spot is perfect because it is small. Small works well for me. Sometimes, the tighter confines feel almost like a hug.

Keep it 'tween the ditches ...............................................
___________________________________

My musical companion this post is "Holding Back the Years" by Simply Red. It has little to do with my spot  on the surface. But like my spot in the garage it comforts me and whenever I hear it, I smile and my mind always calms a bit.


3 comments:

Ol'Buzzard said...

My spot is in my shed
the Ol'Buzzard

yellowdoggranny said...

my spot is my recliner, where ever it's at in the house.

bornfreev said...

My current spot is at the digital piano I gifted to myself in December. At 69 trying to learn piano requires my total focus. But I love the sound of piano and always wanted to learn. Better late, than never, right?