Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Willin

At some point in their lives, many folks will choose a song they feel puts their life into a perspective they can lean on the rest of their days. An anthem of sorts they carry with them as they slay the dragons of Life and make love to the World at large.

When I was a full of piss and vinegar twenty something, I decided I was an adult now. I was sure I had outgrown the hormone infused uncertainties of post pubescent youth and was ready to fully enter the adult world and kick some ass.

But I had to have a plan. Didn't every adult have a plan? Didn't I need a direction, some goals to reach for?

As was my nature back in the day, I only struggled for like five minutes attempting to find the answer. The one thing that had remained constant in my life so far had been the spontaneity and my lack of considering consequences. I falsely concluded that loose dog philosophies had gotten me through the many dangerous stupidities of my childhood. So why fix something that ain't  broke?

Yeah, I was sure I was an adult now. ........... Right. 

As soon as I had filed my "No Plan" plan away safely in a dark, dusty corner of my mind, I spent many moments, days, and weeks trying to come up with the anthem that described me and my plan for the next so many years I managed to stay topside and out of the ground.

Since I had forsaken my college education half way through my third year to climb behind the wheel of the big trucks, I needed a song that embraced my new "I was sure it will last a lifetime" career. One day I pulled up next to a red sports car at a light in Baltimore, Maryland. The driver and his passenger were rocking out to Little Feat's "Willin". 

I knew in that instant I had found my anthem. It became the song of the rest of my trip from there to the the grave I hope to never see coming.

"I've been warped by the rain, driven by the snow"
"I'm drunk and dirty, don't you know"
"And I'm still, willin' "

This tune still makes me choke up every time I hear it. It was and still is my bible; my instruction manual for finding that other path I took at every fork in my road.

And eventually I included a slogan,  

Keep it 'tween the ditches .....................  

_________________________________

Post Script - It would not be fair if I did not include the tune "Willin", written by Lowell George and performed to perfection by his band - Little Feat - Enjoy!


3 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

I loooooooooooooove that song.

Bsam78 said...

Awesome post.

Kulkuri said...

In 1979 when we packed what we could in a '71 Dodge Polara wagon and headed for Seattle we had a song. We sang "The Gambler" all the way thru Canada and on to Seattle.

"You got to know when to hold'em
know when to fold'em
know when to walk away
know when to run."

We learned we could survive wherever we were.

One of these days I'll get around to telling that story on my other blog. Been thinking about it lately and am almost ready to get to it.