Monday, January 31, 2022

History Should Please Us

I made one resolution regarding 2022. I vowed to myself in private consultation that I would not allow the stupidity and madness of the latest political shenanigans of either side to chronically ruin every day of my weeks to come. No more room will be allowed in my mind than they deserve. My buttons will remain un-pushed and I will walk free from worry of things and events I have no control over. 

I did give myself an out in case internal pressures brought on by mass stupidity rise to levels that might cause me to blow a gasket. I am allowing myself a few, or maybe several; definitely more than a couple of posts a month to point up the latest madness thought up by the Right intended to make our lives here in the US even more unpleasant.

The Right is comprised of a bunch of whiny little bitches with no positive agenda. Their only goal is to tear us apart rather than working on bringing us together. Large and in charge Republican Buffoons like Florida governor, Ron DeSantis gleefully lead the onslaught. And meanwhile, the Left flounders around claiming to want progress but can't get out of their own way to even make a decent attempt. The dysfunction that has our leaders by the short hairs is the worst I have ever seen. 

Damn pitiful and inept group we have allowed to lead us. But I guess we would rather be led by dummies than vote for the best and brightest.

No better example of the Right's attempt to deny our past is the recent Bill 148, "Individual Freedom" currently racing through the Florida legislature. In a nutshell, the intent of the bill is to outlaw any historical references not whitewashed and approved by the White aristocracy that squats in the Capitol up in Tallahassee, affectionately known in some circles as "Almost Georgia". It uses back assward logic that any history that makes one uncomfortable about their race will not be allowed. It is a direct attack on CRT (Critical Race Theory). In essence, history will be relegated to the library stacks that hold fiction.

No matter what one thinks of CRT or other uncomfortable truths that paint an unflattering image of how some people treated other people; just this effort to sterilize our past is nothing but a move by the Right to push our country toward Authoritarian governance and further away from the Democracy we have fooled ourselves we have had the last 200 plus years.

History should be uncomfortable. If it is not, then it is nothing but propaganda.

Haven't we had our fill of propaganda yet?

Later ....................................................

__________________________

I did not have to search for a song I thought Florida and DeSantis might want to use to replace that old worn out state tune "Old Folks at Home" ( "Suwanee River"). It's a tune by Sam Cooke that was popular when I lived in Florida as a child.  "What a Wonderful World"



10 comments:

Ol'Buzzard said...

You nailed it.
the OL'Buzzard

Ol'Buzzard said...

But it has always been crazy - we seem to think that it can't get worse - and it doesn't. Just the time and the names change; but it is who we are as a species.
O'B

Nan said...

You got to love the way the snowflakes who whine constantly about 'cancel culture' are intent on doing as much canceling as possible.

Saw a great meme a few days ago that pointed out that a country's history must be pretty damn horrible if you don't want kids to learn it.

Kulkuri said...

'Capital up in Tallahassee, affectionately known in some circles as "Almost Georgia".' Also know as "LA", Lower Alabama.

yellowdoggranny said...

I miss Sam Cooke

peppylady (Dora) said...

Our world is a mess. I hope you enjoy your day.
Coffee is on and stay safe

PipeTobacco said...

The primary difference I see is that body things bad and good have become more blatantly so. “Bad” has always been bad (ie most Republican shenanigans)….. but it used to be couched in a veneer of “normalcy”. Now the platitudes and soft surfaces of normalcy are no longer thought of as important or needed….. and the “bad” is shinning forth it more of its honest appearance…. and those that ascribe to it feel that is ok and need not feel any need to try to get others to see.

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

Hmm. Body was meant to be most…. That was a really odd autocorrect.

The Blog Fodder said...

My take is that banning masks in public schools, making a big deal about Trans kids, CRT, book banning etc is means to an end - to destroy public schools and teachers unions, replacing them with for profit private schools. I feel bad for America. In some ways your problems are worse than ours though that may change.

PipeTobacco said...

I am sad to say that I think you are unfortunately correct.

PipeTobacco