Monday, January 03, 2022

The House That Jack Built

 

Okay.............. I admit I enjoy a well done movie that disturbs me, makes me think, frightens me, and leaves me wondering what the hell did I just watch. "The House that Jack Built", a 2018 movie directed by Lars von Trier, was just such a movie. I have not decided yet whether I liked it or was just truly horrified by it. 

It is not a run of the mill serial killer movie filled with gratuitous blood and guts. It has blood and guts big time, but it all fits. Played wonderfully by Matt Dillion, the movie needs the over the top violence of the main character Jack to flush out the depth of his insanity.  It is two hours of some of the best creepiness to come down the pike since "Silence of the Lambs".

Told in 5 episodes or incidents, we watch Jack's progression from rookie serial killer in the first incident to the master of  the craft 12 years later when he determines he has nothing new to prove and well ........ he makes his last journey because as he says, "I want to see it all."

I think this is a movie I will need to watch again to really figure out what I can take away from it. The plot is convoluted as is the dialog. There are many messages in it I have not nailed down yet. The ending reminds me of Dante's "Inferno".

If you enjoy being creeped out, it is playing on AMC+.

Later ..........................................................

__________________________

Naturally I chose a song from the movie wrapped into a trailer. A cover of "Hit the Road Jack" performed by Buster Poindexter.


And if you feel up to it, watch the following trailer set to "David Bowie's, "Fame".



4 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm not fan of scary movie. But I did like Silent of Lambs.
Coffee is on and stay safe

The Blog Fodder said...

Watched Silence of the Lambs but think I can safely skip this one.

PipeTobacco said...

Unfortunately this genre of film is not my favorite. It is only the rare exception….. usually where there is some other very noteworthy aspect…. that will get me to watch a gruesome/gory film.

Matt Dillon….. I typically find his work impressive and nuanced….. so he would be the likely reason I *may* watch it…. If it is on Amazon *and* my wife is asleep.

PipeTobacco

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm going to give it a try...if I have nightmares I'm going to give you a ration of shit..
love Poindexter..a lot..and of course Bowie..sigh*