Friday, March 06, 2009

Took a Vacation

I took a trip. I did not physically go anywhere. But I let my mind step out for a time. I wondered old haunts and visited new ones. I am not sure what I figured to find. Maybe it was just stepping away from this blog for a while that I needed to do. Regardless, I have learned or is it, re-learned a few things over the last so many days.

The spirit of bipartisanship is dead. My calls for it were wasted breath. Had I checked the pulse sooner I would have realized it. The division has been deeply cut. It would appear that the minions, the regular folk of the Right who follow this stuff are indeed getting the kind of representation they want. And while not as vocal, the adherents of the Left are happy with this arrangement. They really do not want to play ball. They want to see the Right squirm and act like bad school children. Payback is a bitch I guess.

So instead of looking for some hope, I found the same old shit. Pissed off people on both sides staring each other down and flinging insults. I even tossed my share. I am human too. And as I sit here and break back into blog mode, I am not uplifted. My search ended in failing to find even a glimmer of hope we just might try to all get on the same bus. At least for now. There is always hope. But with each disappointment, it becomes smaller and less in focus.

Swirling all around this pettiness from both sides, we are dealing with what is probably the worst economic situation in our lives. If ever there was a case of bad timing for the two parties to be this divided, it is now. But there it is. The situation has cemented the animosity of both and not even a recovery will not do much to fix that.

It is indeed good to be home again. I just wish the pictures I took were of boring monuments, churches, and people on the beach. Instead all I have is images of two gangs facing each other with angry fists. The monkeys are not happy.


Later...............

(371/)

9 comments:

Kulkuri said...

The Never-Right not wanting to listen to the ideas other than their own goes back to the Vietnam War with their "America, Love It Or Leave It!!" The Left was usually willing to listen to others, but after several decades of being rebuffed a lot are now saying "Here it is, take it or leave it!" IMHO it's about time the Fascists get their own medicine back.

I just want to live long enough to see the party of the last administration become the Whigs of the 21st Century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MRMacrum said...

Kulkiri - I cannot deny I lean in the same direction. It's just I feel well what is the use of even trying to get them together when all they want to do apparently is beat each to a bloody pulp. If ever the title of my blog fits the mindset I am in, it is now. The Whigs were their own worse enemies as it turned out. And it does look like that tune is playing again. It would break my heart, but the destruction left in it's wake will be a tough time for everyone.

Chef Cthulhu said...

First - welcome back! Holy shit I was wondering where you'd gone. Worried enough to start at Kittery and work my way north asking if anyone had seen a 50-sumpin' dude with a huge, grey beard on a bike.

The Dems aren't very democratic, and the Repubs aren't good examples of republicanism. Neither party corners the market on stupidity, truculence, or closed-mindedness.

Demeur said...

Crum - I think you said it before. Eventually the Dems will get to big for their britches and your probably right but after what we just went through the last eight years and what we now face it's going to be a long time before the rethugs get back in power if at all. Unless they come up with some other ideas other than TAX CUTS FOR THE WEALTHY their party will go the way of the Whigs. They're looking like the poster children for the "Me" generation as in "I've got mine, the hell with you" Hey didn't we give guys like that a crapper shampoo back in military school?

Gary ("Old Dude") said...

me thinks you are dwelling to much on the tone of the rhetoric of our illustrious elected officials, and not hearing the facts and viewpoints attempting to be heard. Its the basis of our two party system that the "In's" and the "Outs" argue the pros and cons of any given action of the congress. It is only natural that those speaking, wanting to get noticed use hyperbole to get attention, ---the question always is if its something yuou agree with its okay, if not then the other guy must be a thug---right Demeur?(lol)

Randal Graves said...

This is what happens when you have a two party system. I, for one, much prefer the subtle gratings of a multi-party cacophony.

Look on the bright side: after it all goes to hell, thanks to your post-apocalyptic writings, you'll be ahead of the curve.

BBC said...

The spirit of bipartisanship is dead.

It never was alive. Both sides are as wrong as the other.

Why go back in history to the Whigs? Why not forget all that and look forward, that is where the future is, if there is a future for us.

KayInMaine said...

I'm seeing a bunch of WATBs on the right who have forgotten the last 8 years of George Bush to make themselves feel better. That's what I'm seeing. They want President Obama to win in Iraq, win in Afghanistan, but when it comes to Americans winning, they've drawn the line!

They're pathetic and this is why they've earned the name, The American Taliban. Yep, they and the Taliban in Afghanistan are on the same page. Rush Limbaugh has his work cut out for him having to lead the Taliban on 2 continents.

Bill said...

So what is Sarah Palin to Rush Limbaugh? Lipstick on a pig