Friday, March 20, 2009

Another Day on the Obama Planet

So I only caught part of Obama's appearance on Jay Leno last night. Witnessed the "Special Olympics" comment. All I could think of was, "He'll get some grief over that remark." And of course he has. I did not concern myself with the remark as much as I noticed it as something he said that we all might say but really shouldn't when we are on TV in front of millions of people.

Before the show even aired, Obama called the guy in charge of the Special Olympics and apologized. Apparently his apology was sincere and he did not mean to offend. What the Hell? In this day of over sensitivity, what was he thinking? Oh yeah, that's right, he is human. Bonehead remarks are part of that human condition. Instead of jumping all over him, I think we should look at his own situation as a Black and his own response to the insensitive words thrown in his direction. He blows them off.

People get stupid sometimes. Shit happens. But at least the line could have been delivered better. Obama Man better keep his day job. He ain't no comedian.
_______________________________________

My daughter went to UNC for her Master's degree. As students often do, she became a dedicated Tar Heels fan. That her discipline was also Athletic Training, it was a no brainer. By direct relation, so did I become a fan if I knew what was good for me. I am rooting for Carolina Blue to go all the way in this annual March of Madness. I did this before I knew Obama Man also is rooting, no more like demanding that UNC prevail. Believe me when I say my daughter's influence came first.
__________________________________________

I think back through the Presidents I have lived through. It seems that with each one, the world that grabs and swoops them up became more complicated and urgent than their predecessors. Media spotlights shine in every corner of a President's life now. No longer can even a distant relative or third grade screw up go unnoticed. We have a World with apparently more pressing needs than ever before, yet we hold the magnifying glass ever closer with each administration. And each administration strives harder to keep that magnifying lens further away.

Obama has promised more transparency. In some respects he has accomplished this. He shows his human every man side well. But I am becoming nervous that the transparency we want from him is not the transparency we will get. Maybe I am wrong and I am just getting caught up in the frenzy of "fix it now", "I want the problems to go away" instantly routine. Obama needs to settle down and focus. He is beginning to waste more time back pedaling than I am comfortable with. Admit the mistakes and move on. And ferchrisakes stop the campaigning. You won already.

Later.............

(480 / 8370)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

" This administration, elected on the promise of change, has already managed, in an astonishingly short time, to create the impression that it’s owned by the wheeler-dealers. "

- Paul Krugman 3/20/09

It's more than a mere impression, Mr. Krugman. It's a reality.

- PJ

And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Kulkuri said...

At least we are no longer hearing that the audiences have been prescreened when he speaks. Obama is not afraid of people like aWol is. aWol just gave a speech in Canada and it was closed to everyone except a select few. Obama may make mistakes, but he isn't afraid to admit it and move on. Which is refreshing after what we have had to put up with in recent years (admit I screwed up, that is very manly).

Demeur said...

In 8 years we never heard Boy George admit that he was wrong or made a mistake.

PJ - Obama made a good analogy about these banks and AIG. He said it's like trying to deal with someone with a bomb vest strapped on with his thumb on the trigger. You have to negotiate carefully least he hit the trigger and blow us all up.

Utah Savage said...

Since I agree with Kulkuri and Demeur, I'll just say, "Amen."

Oh, and I do love his getting outside of DC and taking it to the people, letting people ask questions. He is a very generous man. I know it may seem like campaigning, but what a refreshing kind of campaign. He has to sell us on a major shift in policy. The lines are clearly drawn in Washington--he needs to keep his approval rating high as this moves along.

Ju said...

Remeber Obama and the Don Imus Comment:

Obama said: "He fed into some of the worst stereotypes that my two young daughters are having to deal with today in America. The notions that as young African-American women — who I hope will be athletes — that that somehow makes them less beautiful or less important. It was a degrading comment. It’s one that I’m not interested in supporting."

Therefore, laughter and the lack of reaction from Obama’s remarks suggest Americans have a set a rules for race, class and gender: If you touch them you will pay.

And another set of rules for individuals that have a mental or physical disability: If you touch them, it’s ok if you apologize. Oh, and by the way, it’s okay to laugh at the jokes that come at the expense of the latter.

It is just cruel:

http://tinyurl.com/cgpymq

BBC said...

So I only caught part of Obama's appearance on Jay Leno last night.

Hum, I would have to have cable or something like that to see that, and I don't.

Obama can't fix anything, as I keep saying, America is a failing experiment and the wisest thing to do is to cover your own ass the best you can.

Trying to fix it is just a frigging waste of time. All those political blogs, a waste of time, they should be planting gardens and going camping.

I don't need a garden yet because I have lots of food and the money for more, but I'm getting ready for the next camping outing.

Bill said...

I don't understand quite why it is that I find myself on the opposite side of popular sentiment on this issue, but I do, and I don't think it's because I have any sort of prejudice against people with disabilities. Maybe what ticks me off here is that it is Orwellian the way we are expected to not see the reality of what makes the people in Special Olympics so special. Anyone can learn to ride a bike, right? Wrong. But for someone with mental disabilities and coordination problems to learn to ride a bike, hey, that's special. Yet when we ourselves do something awkwardly and have to struggle with that, we have to somehow blind ourselves to what makes that situation similar to the mentally impaired? We can't associate with their disability for fear of offending their dear souls? Orwell would love this.