Friday, September 12, 2008

Blasts From the Past

Anyone who has either been blogging for some years or has posted everyday for a year has a sizable number of words deposited behind them. My question is do any of you ever go back and re-read previous musings? I did this morning. Not because I was looking for a prompt. But because Mary Ellen over to Bad Habit had caught my wandering eye. I'm a sucker for a Nun with a butt hangin out her mouth. Ooh La La. Her blog is filled with images of nuns and well written posts. Anyway, the images of Nuns being naughty and nice reminded me of a post I wrote a couple of years back, "The Deaf Jesuits". So I looked it up and re-read what was on my mind on Friday, November 25, 2006. It is an attempt at humor. It made me laugh to write it. It made me laugh to re-read it. Maybe it will make you laugh also.

But then I noticed the post above it had a short piece at the end of the post. I am not sure why, but I liked it enough to re-post it here.

Random Stream
Instantly the trailer is upside down and we have to pull Aunt Myrtle out of the oaks out back. The dog's nowhere nearby and our cats haven't come down yet. Still I look for something familiar, untouched and still around. But everywhere I look is different. Changed forever. The barn's gone and the tractor too. Hated that tractor. Good riddance. The pick up is flipped up with someones tub holding it down. Devastation and destruction as far as the eye can see.

What is that? That, right there. I focus and it appears prominent. Undisturbed as if no storm had passed. The red birdhouse I built in 8th grade shop class had survived unscathed. As I begin to appreciate the luck of this miracle, a bird pops out, chirps and takes off. Disappearing into the tattered trees off to the east, I can still hear the defiance as that bird exulted in it's own survival.

2 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Don't let Bush see this, he'll start having the Pentagon build a series of red birdhouses.

Mary Ellen said...

Wow, thanks for the nice things you said about me. Once you get to know me, I'm sure that will change, but I'll take what I can get right now. ;-)

That story was amazing and the image of the tornado and the leaning barn was amazing. I don't know what it is about tornadoes, but I've always been fascinated by pictures or videos of them. When I was a young girl and saw The Wizard of Oz for the first time, I was mesmerized by the first scene that was in black and white and showed the monster tornado coming at her. Also, living in the midwest and seeing a few first hand gave me an equal thrill and dread, all at the same time.

Great post!

Randal- As always, you crack me up!