Monday, January 09, 2023

Ice Fishing Under a Setting Moon

I should have taken more notice yesterday when I posted that early morning image of the moon setting over Loon Pond, one of our local bodies of water here in Acton. It was not a fluke, not a one off chance in a million Kodak moment. These images are always possible here, just not so obvious as they were two nights ago. This last full moon resulted in a myriad of images taken by local residents. The heavens literally came together with the beautiful landscape here to produce a few moments of perfect conditions rendering a multitude of wonderful pictures that have been posted on local Facebook pages.

Images like these are always a reminder about how lucky I am to live in Acton. My problem is after fifty years plus of Acton, Maine in my life, the special privilege of living here is oftentimes taken for granted. Over the years of making a life, the trials and troubles encountered conspired to narrow my focus to what was in my face at the moment while the grand picture outside of my field of vision often went unnoticed. Not being able to see the forest for the trees comes to mind.

Yeah, these wonderful pictures from around town recently caused me to remember a major reason I chose to spend my life in Maine.


The top image was taken by one the boys who decided to hit the lake for some early morning ice fishing. I do not know who took it. A mom posted it without saying what lake it was. It actually could be somewhere other than Acton. I assume it is local though.

The image immediately above was taken on Loon Pond here in Acton.

___________________________

John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin fame released a solo album, "Thunderthief " in 2001. It was his 2nd solo album. I never pictured him with any instrument in his hands other than an electric bass. Apparently, he is multi-talented. On this album, he wrote a song about ice fishing at night with some very nice piano work. It is called.......... wait for it ............ "Ice Fishing at Night".


2 comments: