Thursday, February 10, 2022

Conquering Hero

A music video posted by a FB friend found its way to my feed yesterday. I had not heard of the group Ferocious Dog before. They are a very talented band from across the pond. Very socially conscious; most of the tunes I followed up with concerned every day souls in crisis or bewilderment with the world they lived in.

The tune my friend posted was "Broken Soldier". Immediately my memory bank kicked in and I was thinking of a friend I had met during my hard drug days in the early 1970s. His experience as a Vietnam vet I wrote about in a short composition in my blog back around ten years ago. 

And since I have recently become smitten with poetry again and the possibility of creating some that was not terrible, I turned my short post into a short poem after I heard this tune. 

It is so sad that fifty years later, we are still dealing with critically damaged souls after we sent them to wars that made on sense. Anyway, here are my thoughts after listening to Ferocious Dog's tune about the same problem. 

                                                       "Conquering Hero"

His eyes were full of the evil he had seen.

His mouth, full of stories better passed over than passed down.

Memories caught in his craw

Woke him sweating cold in the dread of his nights

Leaving him staring

Into his darkness till Dawn’s early light

 

His innocence pooled bloody on too many battle grounds.

Scarred and broken he was sent back

To a homeland that would never understand.

 

Well meaning people wearing blue scrubs and white coats

Did what they could.

As it was with so many others,

It did not work out.

 

Feeling forgotten, discarded and alone with his demons,

 He sought solace in barbiturates, whiskey and gin.

Trying to forget his role in the pre-meditated chaos

Of Men killing Men in faraway lands.

 

One day he gave up, double hit China White, laid down, and he died

Before his curtain closed, with one final sigh,

Our conquering hero had found his restful reprieve.

The bleak stories and nightmares at last nodded goodbye.

 RIP Pat.

 War sucks. Enough said.

Later .........................................................

_________________________________________

2 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm so out date when it comes to bands and such.
Coffee is on and stay safe

yellowdoggranny said...

that made me weep