Friday, December 03, 2021

Her Majesty Has a Play Date

Right after I fed Maggie this morning we went out back so she could do her morning dog thing. Poop, pee and fart around smelling stuff. It was finally a typical day for this time of the year. The wind was up and the temperature was in the upper teens to low twenties. 

Maggie bolted out of the back door and began her routine. The wind blasted me in the face and I realized it was not tee shirt weather anymore.

"About time", I thought. 

The morning ritual was moving along with Maggie uncharacteristically keeping to her business and not finding some distraction to prolong our time outside. It was damn cold. The wind was blowing up my ass and I only had one thin short sleeved layer on. I was grateful she seemed to be on the same page as I was. Take care of business and get back into the house.

But no. Suddenly Maggie stiffened into her hunting dog stance. Her nose spiked up in the air and her nostrils flexed in and out as she took in as much of the scent as possible. Any thought of pooping was put on hold until she had investigated this incursion into her territory. She took off full tilt boogie into the pucker brush out back that formed the border between my property and the new neighbor's huge field. She loved nothing better than running at full speed anywhere. I caught glimpses of her as she dashed through the leafless brush and out onto the neighbor's field. 

A second later an explosion of turkeys took flight to escape this well known threat to their composure. A rafter of summer fattened turkeys taking flight is an impressive sight. For her part, Maggie stopped, sat, and watched the turkeys fly away. She was satisfied. She had done what she came to do. Chased those turkeys off her property. 

Now it was onto her next favorite thing. Eating the turkey poop left behind. Its always best when eaten fresh. Or so she informed me when I attempted to command her to stop.

She promised she would return to her regal ways once we were back in the house.

Keep it 'tween the ditches ......................................................

6 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

Turkey 💩. Stuff for the gods.

Anonymous said...

Oh I had no idea that fresh turkey poop was a doggie's favorite meal. Lucky for Maggie she got her yummies!
This post made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that.

Ol'Buzzard said...

The cats and I looked out the window this morning as the wind blew the neighbors flag out straight. As I looked over the frozen terrain the cats lost interest y and started chasing their ball down the hallway. I said, Fuck it - it's cold outside, then turned on the computer.
the Ol'Buzzard

The Blog Fodder said...

My pups liked rabbit poop. I'm sure Murphy had something to say about wearing a thin shirt on a cold day expecting your dog to cooperate and hurry their business.

MRMacrum said...

yellowdoggranny- From your lips to floppy ears everywhere.

Robin Andrea - Bringing a smile to someone's day is all I want.

Ol'Buzzard - Yeah, its not as much fun hangin out in the cold as it used to be.

Blog Fodder - I think in my case, it may be more of my utilization of the Peter Principle.

peppylady (Dora) said...

She is pretty gal.
Coffee is on and stay safe