Tuesday, February 05, 2019

Celebrities Rule, the Rest of Us Drool

Gene Simmons, formerly of the rock band KISS, has finally gotten off his high horse regarding Pot.  He is now freeing his faithful followers from the anguishing guilt they must have felt every time they lit up a joint.  In a statement recently, he stated,

"I thought cannabis was for stoners and losers and all that,and slowly but surely, over the years, the amount of research that I saw just blew me away. "

Great Gene.  Your turnabout couldn't have anything to do with you hooking up with a huge commercial Cannabis operation in Canada, now could it?   No, of course not.  Regardless, I recognize your change of view.  Thanks for being on the cutting edge.

I did not bring up Gene just to belittle him.  Lord knows, he did that himself long ago by making noise dressed up like some evil clown.  No, he is but an example of the power celebrities have over some of our lives.  So many folks wait to form opinions, join boycotts, move in almost any direction until the star they obsess over tells them to by either declaration or example.

The inability or refusal to form one's own opinion or direction only makes it easier for the evil assholes of this planet to succeed in screwing the rest of us over.  The prime example of this is sitting in the White House as I type.  His celebrity, the only tangible asset he has and it got him elected.

I am sure this is not a new phenomenon.  Idol worship seems to be part of our human DNA.  I would have hoped we had out grown the tendency.  ............ Apparently not.

Later ................................

4 comments:

Ol'Buzzard said...

people are by nature heard animals and look for someone to follow. That makes them easy prey for con men.


the Ol'Buzzard

Kulkuri said...

I'm not a herd animal, my totem is the bear.

PipeTobacco said...

Mike:

You know I am a fan of your writings, so I hope you keep writing here! Are you potentially considering the flash fiction idea route again too? There was that one group last year.... something "carrot" I think? I did it a few times... might try again.

Even though this is a stupid bit on my part.... I often get Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osborn confused. :) But now knowing simmons' stance (previous now from why you state) on marijuana is an easy way to differentiate the two I guess. :)

PipeTobacco

MRMacrum said...

Ol'Buzzard - People started out as communal farm animals. It is a shame that we have not been able to break out of that mold.

Kulkiri - I just took a test to see what my totem was. The results were a tad confusing. I am 58% Wolf, 26% Eagle, 16% Bear, 16% Deer. Apparently I am more than just a man.

Pipe - I appreciate your positive comments about my writing. It certainly helps me to dig in and write. As to writing Flash, well I won't be able to stay away. I absolutely love writing flash.