Sunday, February 24, 2019

Being Blessed

Despite my contention we all are going to Hell in a hand basket because we have put greedy self serving idiots in charge and despite the fact that the media apparently insists on focusing our attention in such a way as to come to the aforementioned conclusion, I will take a break and do my best to count my blessings.  It is Sunday after all.

The Old Testament God just harrumphed and scowled in my general direction.  The Jolly Life is Beautiful New testament God glanced down upon me with a beatific smile and then went back to playing checkers with St.Peter.

It might make more sense to count my blessings on Monday as Mondays usually are a tough day for most folks.  But hey, I'm retired.  There are no Mondays left in my life at the moment.  And that just may be a place to start counting my blessings - No more Mondays in my Life.

One down and many more to go.  .......... Uh, hmm, seems I am stuck.  Every blessing I come up with has an equalizing "bummer dude" attached that diminishes the impact of said blessing.  What to do?

The trick I think is to put the bummers out of mind.  Act as if they don't exist.  Smile just because.  Put my faith in some mythical being no one has ever seen and proceed through the rest of my days happy as if I had a brain.

Wish I could.  Casting aside the concerns I have accumulated over the last decade or two and acting as if they don't matter is not something I am able to do.

In lieu of going all Polly Anna on everyone, I figure that counting the blessings I have accumulated over the years without trying to balance them out with negative life moments is a healthy thing to do at least for a few minutes every week or so.  Don't want the mean ole guy frown to freeze in place.

So in an attempt to give Being Blessed a fair shake .........................

I ain't dead yet and anything that happened yesterday doesn't matter and we all end up in the same place anyway, so smile goddammit.  But most of all I am blessed that I can still have the fire of my youth to point out the error of our ways.  Bitching has a place as long as we chip away at correcting that which we bitch about.

Keep it 'tween the ditches ...................................................
________________________________

Sweet Maggie keeps me centered.  When she can't, my wife slaps some sense into me.


2 comments:

Kulkuri said...

When you're retired every day is Saturday.

It's a case of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it don't matter, but dammit some of this shit does matter!

Ol'Buzzard said...

I just came in from moving snow and my back is aching; but I guess my blessing is that after almost eight decades I can still get out and move snow.
the Ol'Buzzard