Friday, February 08, 2019

Acton Up Brownies

I have no excuse.  I should have known better.  it isn't like I just started baking Pot brownies.  This last double batch must make it 20 or so batches made in the post illegal world I now exist in here in Maine.  And actually, this last double batch went so smoothly, I didn't end up with much of a mess. A year or so ago I wore as much batter as I baked.

So what is it that I should have known or more to point, remembered that is notable enough to waste these precious bytes on?  I remembered only after I had licked the bowl, the spatulas, and the beater paddles that licking the bowl, the spatulas and the beater paddles of a brownie mix that contains kick ass doob in it will likely create missing time in one's life. 

It was just after I pulled the brownies out of the oven that I felt that familiar twinge.  It was four hours later when I woke up.  Whew.  That is the reason I prefer smoking pot.  I can gauge where my high is better than eating it.  Eating it, especially when the brownie mix is delicious, well, uh , you can see the problem, right?

Since my wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer back in the Fall of 2017,  I have been baking Pot brownies regularly.  I used a recipe I got online and cut the called for pot dosage in half and went with it. 

BA is not a toker anymore and hasn't been since she was pregnant with our daughter 30 some years ago.  I am glad I did cut the called for amount in half.  A half count in the batch was more than adequate. 

At first, a small 10 gram piece had her sleeping through the night.  Then as the discomfort of Chemotherapy dug in, she began eating 2 pieces to sleep and one during the day to help with the pain from her mastectomy.  Not once did she take the prescribed Oxy Codone.  It sits in the back of the vitamin drawer gathering dust, saved for the day when nothing else will work.

Now that BA is cancer free, she has continued to consume some brownies every night so she can sleep and to help with her chronically old Rotator Cuff injury.  She is also using some THC tinctures on the shoulder.  It all seems to be helping.

So anyway, I have become the occasional baker of medicine.  Medicine that is finally getting the scrutiny it deserves.  Medicine that I know has worked for me and for more than a few people within my hemisphere.  I feel that the miracles of Cannabis have only been hinted at.  More to come I am sure.

Keep it 'tween the ditches ..................................................

7 comments:

jono said...

Ahhh, the miracles of marijuana!

Ol'Buzzard said...

Best to your wife. Mine is also a breast cancer survivor. Pot works for so many illnesses, but prescription drug companies will do all they can to suppress it.
the Ol'Buzzard

yellowdoggranny said...

I have a rub that my daughter got in Oregon. I don't know what is it it..but it works on my back and my arthritis. If they had medical marijuana here I'd be baking brownies too. But if I ever need it I haz connections ..

Nan said...

Michigan legalized weed in November. Medical marijuana had been legal for a few years, and I think that made it easier to persuade the electorate to allow recreational, too. The state is still working out the details on licensing retailers, but in what is typical reactionary fashion some counties and townships are already freaking out and passing zoning regulations to forbid it. Having been to Colorado and seen what a difference the tax revenues made in rural communities there, I think the locals freaking out are complete idiots. They will live to regret their rush to keeping it out when the town next door to them gets the new fire engines, school improvements, whatever, and they've got nothing. Whatever happens with our county and township boards, though, we will have a retailer close by: the tribal council voted to allow marijuana sales on the rez several years ago so sooner or later someone is going to open a dispensary on tribal land.

MRMacrum said...

jono- Yes, I am so glad I discovered Pot's miracles over 50 years ago.

Ol'Buzzard - The smart companies of Big Pharma are beginning to try to corner this market as is Big Tobacco. I love it. They will never be able to completely own it because too many of us have been growing it in our own back yards for years.

JACKISUE - It will be at least decriminalized nation wide wihtin 5 years I predict.

Nan - Sounds like Michigan is going through the same gyrations as Maine did a few years back. We started with medical in the late 1990s and then finally made it legal. And just like you folks, it has stalled while the state is dicking around trying to come up with rules that work. There are already rules that work, but well you know politics. I was on the Pot Committee for Acton. It was our job to research the good, bad, and ugly of legal Cannabis in other states and report back. The final report was a 4 to 3 decision to advise banning commercial sales and manufacture. At least I was able to fight the good fight and convinced one of the three to switch from the Winger side. All that effort was for naught because of the heel dragging state. I figure when the rules finally come, we will be able to have a pot store in town. It is not that big a deal backed up by the increasing annecdotal evidence from elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

I haven't smoked pot in almost 50 years, but these brownies look so delicious and best way to go for medical purposes. I like knowing that this helps your wife sleep. That definitely makes me want to try it. It's so crazy these days with marijuana being legal here, and being able to walk to a pot store in town. Big business is going to ruin everything, I suspect. When John Boehner makes a commercial about marijuana business, you know things will not be good. Ah money...

MRMacrum said...

robin andrea - I tell you what, my relatives from the Bay area contend CA has the best edibles and support out there. They have been at it longer. You should check into the possibilities.