Monday, June 17, 2024

Last Call

The meme here crossed my path not many minutes ago. As soon as I read it, a specific night of debauchery from my past came to mind.

The three of us had been drinking shots of tequila for several hours at Rick's All American Bar in Baltimore in the early 1970s. Already 3 sheets to the wind, it was my turn to fetch the next round. Just as I got the barkeep's attention, he shouted, "Last Call". 

In my  inebriated judgement , "Last Call" meant stock up. I came back to our table with nine shots on a tray. For a moment I was a hero. The three of us tossed back the three shots each in rapid repetition with maybe or maybe not a breath between shots.

When we hit the street, we could barely walk. We did our best, all the while laughing, hooting, carrying on as we staggered back to the car that one of us would hopefully navigate safely enough to get us home.

I had my head down trying to locate safe passage on the broken concrete. I looked up for some reason and walked head and face first into a street sign post; one of those posts with the sharp edges. Knocked me backwards, I went down hard and broke my glasses in half. The first thing I remember seeing was that street sign post vibrating just like in some Looney Tunes cartoon. As I was struggling to make sense of it all, I looked up at my friends and they were doubled over laughing so hard I think they may have been crying or pissing themselves. We were that stupid falling down drunk.

Anyway, the impact opened up my face some. I didn't get stitches, but maybe should have. 

That's the stuff great memories are made of for sure. .............. Riiiiiiight.

Later Gators .........................
_____________________

Only one band and their music will do for this post; Here is a live version of George Thorogood and the Destroyers along with special guest Elvin Bishop playing, "One Bourbon, One Scotch & One Beer". Again, another tune enjoyed best with the volume cranked. Enjoy. 


7 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I been thinking about getting a bottle. Like I said, Just thinking.

bluzdude said...

I definitely would have been laughing my ass off with your friends.

You can't go wrong w/ ol' Lonesome George. If cavemen could play music, they'd play George Thorogood.

MRMacrum said...

Dora - When I was in my Mid Forties, I stopped drinking altogether. I remedied that stupidity about 10 years ago. Now I hit up the alcohol a couple of times a month.

bluzdude - The assholes still laugh about it.

Living just north of Bawlamer back then afforded me and my college friends the wonderful "road bar" scene of northern Maryland , Delaware and even southern New Jersey. I first saw George and the Destroyers at a huge juke joint off I-95 in Delaware before he even cut his first album. He definitely did not help the drinking problem I had at the time.

bluzdude said...

The first time I saw George was in 1985 on the Maverick tour. He was playing the Toledo Sports Arena and Johnny Winter was supposed to open but he never came on. Rumor was that there weren't enough tickets sold. But George went out there and played to 2000 people like it was a packed Madison Square Garden. I was deaf in my right ear for three days afterward.
I've seen him 4 more times since then and he always puts on a show.

MRMacrum said...

bluzdude - George always put all he had into his shows.

When I was hauling sound and light equipment for RocknRoll shows in the mid 1970s, I hit the Toledo arena at least once. Can't remember the band, but it might have been on the Bootsy's Rubber Band tour or maybe the "Expect No Mercy" Nazareth Tour.

River said...

I tried, but I can't listen to that for 11 minutes. Just not my thing. Rock and Roll, a bit of Country, easy listening stuff, these days.

MRMacrum said...

River - LOL! I hear ya. I like and listen to pretty much everything, though Blues, Jazz, and Old School Country, and oh yeah, can't forget Classic Rock and while I am at it, also Show Tunes, Punk and Classical, Hell, pretty much anything with a beat I guess. Definitely NOT a fan of Opera though. And I absolutely hate KISS and the Nooge (Ted Nugent)

I have to thank for commenting. Your comment provided my prompt for the day.