Monday, June 20, 2022

The Long Goodbye

Recurring participation meme's slide through my Facebook feed on a daily basis. Most are silly challenges or questions that I answer or hardly notice.

Then there are the meme's or posts if you will, that work hard to catch my heart and tear into it. Abused pets, starving children, health issues no one would wish on anyone. The list of heart rending stories is endless.

It seems most of us pass them by with nothing more than a glance; maybe a "like" or if we really read the captions and felt a connection, we might punch the "caring" emoji or the "sad" emoji shedding a tear. If  we feel our gut wrench, we might comment and then move on. Very few of us seem willing to take the minute it takes to share that meme that latched onto our heart strings. But never fear, because there are umpteen billion people using Facebook, the sad tale will be seen and felt by somebody.

Of course many of the cool kids; the influencers, the social media butterflies of Facebook and Twitter seem to consider sharing sappy meme's that show compassion and empathy of any kind for average Joes and Janes as exercise for losers. Unless it is about their favorite pop idol, reality show matriarch, or some other mud cricket personality, they are oblivious. They are the the really important folk who admire empty headed do nothings always embroiled in soap opera drama conjured up by their producers. They are the clowns who are worthy of our attention and idolatry.

I actually started this post a couple of months ago. For some reason I did not finish it. I had given it a title and added a picture of my mother in law who passed thirty years ago. The image and the title did give me a hint at what I had in mind when I started it.

My father died on the kitchen floor in the house I live in today. He died laughing from a massive coronary as my mother looked on from across the kitchen table. There was no time to say goodbye, no lengthy trip to death's door. We did not sit and commiserate watching a loved one slowly die of .......... there are so many choices, pick one.

As shocking and painful as my father's death was with its "here today, gone tomorrow" unpredictability, I think he was lucky. I cannot imagine a better way to die than with a smile on my face. We should all be so lucky.

And then there are the infinite number of ugly and unfair ways to die. Of them all, I consider death following a period of Alzheimer's/ Dementia to possibly be the cruelest death of all. To know your mind is going and also know there is no help that will do anything but maybe prolong the process, well, like I said, there is nothing crueler than existing in a capricious atmosphere of on again, off again clarity.

The callous indifference of Alzheimer's I would not wish on anyone. It is hard on the folks suffering from it and hard on the loved ones they leave in their wake as they slowly disappear into, well, I guess no one knows where they go. My mother in law's last years were suffered under the dementia cloud.  What was really sad was she remembered me, her son in law, but not my wife, her daughter. I could not imagine, I could only watch.

Keep it 'tween the ditches .........................................

____________________________

Music for this post  ................ Hmm. Well, it appears others have already traveled this path; this path for tunes to ease the anxiety and emotions of experiencing or watching someone we love slowly disappear until only a physical caricature remains. It is called "Music for Dementia Patients" . It is a top ten list. I picked Ben E. King's "Stand By Me"



3 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Mike: I agree with you that it seems an instant death is preferable for the individual. My Mom passed away like that, well… let’s see…. 15 years ago now. My Dad, had a lingering death over months from mesothelioma…. which was now 28 years ago.

Neither death was easy, in any sense of the word for our family, but Dad’s passing felt more “realized” if that makes sense. With my Mom, it’s suddenness made things more difficult to “process” as a family.

PipeTobacco

Nan said...

The older a person gets, the more one understands the "lucky bastard" reactions in 'Grumpy Old Men.' Years ago a friend dropped dead from a massive coronary while shooting pool in a local bar. She was much too young to check out that way, but, holy wah, if you're going to die (and we all are) doing it in your prime while having a good time does seem like the ideal.

The Blog Fodder said...

My parents are gone 20 years this year. Mom in January just two months short of her 81st birthday. Died of a sudden heart attack in the local hospital, about to be discharged. My dad near the end of June, Single vehicle rollover. Hit a gravel ridge at road speed and it was all over in an instant. He was six months short of his 81st birthday.
My late wife is gone 18 years this year. Slow death from cancer. Chemo gave her 8 good months but it was never going to be a cure. The last two months were especially hard. On all of us.
Her father suffered from Dementia for many years before going into a level 5 care home as my mother in law couldn't cope anymore looking after him. He died two years after his daughter but never knew about her. My mother in law's mind also slowly deteriorated until she could no longer look after herself. She died in her high 90's only a few years ago but was ready to go long before that. Physically strong but mentally gone.
One ought to be healthy into the high 80s, low 90s but yes, if you have to go, fast is better. Lingering and a long slow goodbye is no good.