Wednesday, February 22, 2023

The Peanut Farmer From Plains

Jimmy Carter continues to be the stand up guy example for all of us no matter at what stage of Life he is in. Even going into Hospice Care at home, the 98 year old shows the class, humility and grace he has always had his whole life. If there was one man I would advise any youngster to look up to and emulate, it would be this peanut farmer from Plains, Georgia.

I found out today that he met Rosalynn, his future life companion, on the day she was born. Wow. If I had read this as part of a fiction story, I would roll my eyes and laugh. Too unreal to be believable. Yet, that is how long those two have been acquainted.

I have often wondered how he was able to follow so rigorously a path that always focused him on improving the world around him. People often claim it was his Christianity. 

I say bullshit. 

He definitely relied on his faith, call it one of his many tools. What made Jimmy Carter what he was goes way deeper than that. Personally, I think the biggest impact on his life and how he turned out can be blamed on two women in his life, his mother, Lillian and his wife, Rosalynn.  In the picture to the right, they are fussing over him and keeping him straight at his graduation from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1946. I particularly admire Jimmy for making sure folks know of the impact those two women had on him.

President Carter is an amazing human being who followed his heart. Whoever or whatever he put his mind to, they ended up the better for it. He is now winding down an exemplary life that from the street level looks like it had no gaps or cracks along the way. 

The World has definitely been a better place with him in it.

_________________________

When Jimmy and Rosalynn took over the White House, I thought it would be very cool if they planted a few rows of peanuts. I used to dance to this when I was a youngster. It is Burl Ives' version of a Civil War song we sang in school, "Goober Peas"

Yep, every time I think of Jimmy Carter, I think of this song.


4 comments:

wootzma said...

Faith is nothing without action. The man is action!

PipeTobacco said...

President Carter was one of the very best presidents in my opinion. He is such a thoughtful, honorable person!!!!!

PipeTobacco

The Blog Fodder said...

Carter was a fine human being and a fine president. The best in my lifetime. There can never be enough tributes to him to begin to do him Justice.
Goober Peas was a Confederate marching song. My oldest called one of her dogs Gruber, so I made up a version called Gruber pees. and sent her a link to Burl Ives song.

yellowdoggranny said...

in a world full of trumps..............be a Carter.