Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Oh Happy Day

 

No more fertile ground for Hope exists 

Than in a land living in Despair.

Got up on the down side of the bed yesterday morning. The first words I thought were something akin to the above. My second thought was I probably should not watch the news this morning............. So I thought writing poetry might soothe my anxiety. 

I came up with the first two lines in a jiffy. They just fell out of my brain and onto the page. A few moments of clarity later I came up with:

All hope is never lost. 

It is only misplaced.

And then I ran into turbulence. It seemed I had written a beginning and an ending with nothing in the middle. The next five or six lines were written, scratched out, moved up, moved down, and eventually kicked out. Any clarity I had was gone, leaving only the residual ashes of its passing. Instead of shit canning my effort to that point, I created the Facebook message above and posted it. 

A half assed effort beats a blank I guessed. I made some coffee and forgot about it.

This morning my eyes popped open at 3:00 AM. I felt neither down nor up. I was just awake and could not go back to sleep. I tried, but failed. And then I remembered that last night was the first night my coughing from a recent cold had not interrupted my sleep. I had successfully slept for over five hours straight. 

Oh Happy Day.

I considered returning to my recent fragments of the poem from yesterday. While I was considering, I scrolled through my Facebook comments, hates, and likes. Someone had liked my picture message from yesterday. I punched it up so I could remind myself what I had posted. 

I did like it, even after 24 hours. But I felt it was incomplete. So I created a collage that incorporated the only lines of that poem I had saved as being worthy of any consideration of any kind. What I came up with was this:


And that is what will carry me through my day today. A message that no matter how fucked up things might seem, I can count on them changing. Nothing lasts forever, not even bad times.

Later ...........................................
______________________

Musical choice this beautiful morning was uncharacteristically harder than it should have been. I immediately considered almost any song by Donovan. The man wrote the most upbeat music of my youth. My mistake was trying to find a Donovan song that was narrowly focused enough to fit the above message collage. .............. After listening to too many Donovan tunes, I came upon "Sunshine Super Man". Hmm.......... Almost, but not quite. 

I re-played "Season of the Witch" and realized it was the tune. But instead, of the original with Donovan, I was about to pick a great cover by Mike Bloomfield, Stephen Stills and Al Kooper on their "Super Sessions" album. 

Their cover was fantastic. But I retraced my steps and also chose the original "Season of the Witch" . Instead of one choice, I am offering two versions of the same song.  Enjoy .............


6 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

not a bad version in the bunch.

PipeTobacco said...

While I can enjoy poetry, and liked your work here….. trying to write poetry myself….. just utterly alludes me.

I especially enjoyed the Stills version you linked to!

I think I may have asked this before, but are you still aware of or still a part of any weekly writing prompt sites? I would like to find one again, but the old ones appear gone and I have had no luck locating any.

PipeTobacco

MRMacrum said...

yellowdoggranny - No, they are all good.

Pipe Tobacco - Go to my profile and punch the "email" icon if you would be comfortable with that. I can definitely give you links.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sorry you woke up that early.
Coffee is on and stay safe

One from Ukraine said...

Thank you.

The Blog Fodder said...

Thank you so much for your poetry and your pictures. Ukraine is a wonderful country but in great trouble.