Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Remembering a Note or Two

Every time I step away from the computer for any protracted period, I can find it difficult to jump back on the bus and slip smoothly back into a groove.  My mental abilities, such as they are, have no problem shutting down if they are not exercised without at the least the occasional stroll. 

My brain after all, is sixty-nine years old now and was never much to crow about when it was peaking and I had more hair on my noggin and lead in my pencil. Rust sets in faster on old steel and connections created seven decades ago tend towards some corrosion.  

Bringing this loose dog back up to speed is often slow, mind numbing drudgery. My first few knee jerk efforts are akin to running through the scales on musical instruments. No music comes out but I hope to still remember a note or two. There is no doubt about it. Stop writing for awhile and for me the road back can seem daunting.

I will often, like now for instance, crank up one of the many music playlists I have created and stashed deep inside my computer. I slap some earphones on, turn the tunes up to wow and do my best to write some sense. If music untwisted does not do it alone, I may call on the bench and the stimulating/stupefying effects of Demon rum and the Devil's weed to loosen my writing tongue and shock it into a composing frame of mind. The result is always a crap shoot, with an occasional bright nugget shining through the darkness.

So let's see. Where are we now after a great dinner, some beer, a couple of shots, and some sweet herb rolled up for the perfect after dinner joint. The 3 hour playlist is half over and I am pretty sure tonight's effort will remain in draft form in the future. 

Or not.

Keep it 'tween the ditches .............................................

6 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

After all that, I would want to sleep, not be creative. Good for you to feel ambitious

BBC said...

Carry on.....

Bobalooski said...

Haha, come back to us…
(Barbara Lewis
Hare Krishna
Beauregard)

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm sure you have a great story or so in that mind of yours.
Coffee is on and stay safe

PipeTobacco said...

I do not think you have ever had a poor or uninteresting piece of writing. You should just let the words flow (and not be draft) and if libations or leaf enhances output…… indulge away!

Ol'Buzzard said...

Tote one up for me.
the Ol'Buzzard