Wednesday, November 11, 2020

The "I Don't Give a Shit Cult"

I started out Life as an Episcopalian.  Once confirmed, I spent time as an acolyte and briefly considered traveling the road to priesthood.  I changed direction that day at Hot Shoppes in Bethesda when I watched my priest snuggling against and kissing a woman not his wife. I quit playing the religious game. Ever since I have only stepped foot in a church when customs warranted it; Weddings, funerals,etc.

No longer being a believer does not mean I am an Atheist or an Agnostic.  No, there is one place to settle that will drive the extremist advocates of the other 3 choices bonkers. I now belong to the Cult of the "I don't give a shit people".

We just do not care if there is a supreme being in charge of it all.  Believing or not believing does not alter our path from the cradle to the grave.  Shit will happen and has happened to us.  Worrying about fixing blame or credit is an exercise in futility.  Worrying about after life nightmares inflicted by mythical beings is just crazy.

What I do worry about though are all the abuses, billions of deaths, and cultural separations that have been part and parcel of almost every religion since their creation in Holier than Thou twisted minds before recorded Time began. It has nothing to do with silly fables thought up to scare children.  

Religion is about control and power in the here and now. Anything positive that happens through religion is only allowed as long as it helps in the continued dominance of the targeted population.  

That is not to say the emotional crutch Religion offers should be banned.  Believe. Don't believe.  I just do not care. But I will care deeply and will resist should religion ever become mandatory.  

Keep it 'tween the ditches .................................


5 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

I'll make a pagan out of you yet..the Goddess doesn't give a shit either..she made us, turned us loose and when we stop being a source of amusement to her, she'd shrug her shoulders and rid the earth of us.

Ol'Buzzard said...

To me it has got to make sense; and it doesn't.
the Ol'Buzzard

MRMacrum said...

JACKIESUE - Long ago I decided that whoever or whatever power was responsible for this cluster fuck here on Earth, ..... well they were jokesters with mad skills. They set up this beautiful place to live and then put assholes in charge.

Ol'Buzzard - Exactly. Looney Tunes has a better grip on Reality than the Bible or the 'Quran.

amidnightrider said...

I can't help but wonder how our would would be such a better place without religion.

MRMacrum said...

amidnightrider- Sadly, I don't see us ever having been able to avoid it. Its roots go back to the days when homids were trying to explain fire, or maybe why they had to attack the clan over the hill. Religion started out as a way to control and has never stopped being one.