Thursday, July 12, 2007

An Ice Bucket and a Smile - Blast from my past

Being young and stupid often means experiences do not go as planned. The unforseen happens because there was no thought, strategy, or inkling of what, why or where. 30 years after the fact I finally realize this and now admit it. What I figured I had covered and under control was just the deluded cockiness of youth.
It's amazing any of us survive it.

I staggered into the hallway naked one night. Had I been at home headed to the toilet to piss, this might pass unoticed. Unfortunately, the hall I nakedly staggered into was the second floor hallway, 4 Seasons Hotel, Toronto, Canada. Not 6 feet away, a gentle looking older couple were attempting safe entry into room 215. They turned and our eyes met. Watching the missus' eyes drop down next to the bucket made it very clear they had taken notice of my exposed equipment.


In one of those rare moments when the stars line up just right, I actually kept my cool. I smiled, and said, "Good evening folks. Do you know where the ice machine is?" Looking poleaxed, the couple just shook their heads in unison. I walked past them and casually walked down to the elevator and the ice machine. Got my ice, turned around, came back and nodded as I went back in my room.


I cannot explain my reasons for this semi public display of nudity. Maybe it was the woman I was paying by the hour and the time wasted getting dressed could be used in more fruitful endeavor. Or it might have been that quart of JD and the toot. Selfish expediency over reasonable civilty. If nothing else, Albert and Martha had a tale from the big city to share when they got back to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of my uncles--long dead now--went to Iowa from Moose Jaw. Interesting sounding place.

MRMacrum said...

I criss-crossed Canada quite a bit back in the day. The whole country was and I would believe still is an interesting place. I had good times in Canada. There's a laid back quality the whole population seems to project. Well, Quebec folks could get testy when a language challenged loose dog truck driver from the States was lost in the bozone.