I am a New England Patriots fan. For the 3rd year out of the last four, I have more than a passing interest in the Super Bowl. If my team was not in it, I would still watch, but not waste as much time viewing the pre-game hype.And there is some serious hype. It is odd how one football game has become larger than any other sporting event on the planet. Here are some fun facts.
- The most watched show ever, last year's Super Bowl was viewed by144 million people in the United States alone.
- The top 10 most watched programs ever have all been Super Bowls
- The game is broadcast to 230 countries, 88% of the populated world.
- The average cost of a 30 second ad this year is $2 1/2 million dollars, or $83,333/second.
- 9 Cruise Liners are docked at Jacksonville to help boost hotel space
- Last year $367 Million dollars was pumped into the San diego area. This year, Jacksonville expects a minimum of $250 Million.
- Last year Fox Network grossed $150 Million in revenues
- The winners get $68,000 each, the losers $36,500
- Security for the game is very tight
- New fencing has been erected around Allitel Stadium
- The stadium is under lockdown until Game day
- 9,000 volunteers have had their backgrounds checked.
- Downtown Jacksonville will be cordoned off to vehicular traffic
- A 30 Mile No Fly zone will be enforced around the game
- Jet skis will be banned from the St. John's River on game day
- Scuba divers are on constant patrol around the 9 Cruise Ships parked dockside
- 69 foreign born security and transportation workers have been arrested. Half for just having a criminal record. Hmm. That one bothers me.
In the effort to spare us any indignities while watching the game and stuffing our faces, measures have been taken to dispose of any offending commercials before they hit the game. All ads are being run by focus groups to weight their level of offensiveness. To ensure a G rating at the half time show, Paul ( too old and safe to be controversial) McCartney will be the headliner. I hope he pulls a fast one. Comes out on stage with nipple holes cut out on his shirt and then exposes himself in an accidental on purpose in your face uptight America. I will watch the game, but according to my usual behavior, I will boycott the half time show.
Are you ready for some football?