Saturday, October 06, 2012

Religion, Inc.


So Mitt claims on his tax returns just over $4 million to "charity".  Right Mitt.

It depends on what we consider charity.  75% of that $4 million went to the Mormon Church.  The Mormon Church spends less than 1% of it's income on charity outside it's church.  Tithing in my opinion is not charity.  It is supporting one's church often accomplished by not so subtle arm twisting.

Counting tithing as charity has always rubbed me the wrong way.  Many churches demand a certain percentage of their members income.  I hear in the Mormon Church it is 10%.  Any money required to belong to an organization should not be called charity.  It could still be considered a tax deduction, but in no way should tithing be considered charity.  Romney gets no points from me for including payments to his church.

The Mormon Church spends over 99% of their income on issues they have a direct interest in.  They are a business disguised as religion.  The LDS  has spent millions across the country defeating Gay Marriage initiatives.  They have funneled countless millions into the coffers of politicians (read Mitt Romney) they feel share their narrow view of how Life should be.  The Mormon Church is not interested in the concerns of anyone outside their church.  But they are certainly interested in controlling how non-Mormons live their lives.

No better example exists of how out of control organized religion has become  than the Church of the Latter Day Saints.

Later.................................................................

7 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

ditto what Jadedj said.

yellowdoggranny said...

except my ass is not skinny.

Ol'Buzzard said...

You could replace the name Mormon Church with Catholic Church and have the same outcome. Remember the Catholic church of Portland (Maine) took up collections in church to used to defeat the Defense of Marriage Act at our last election.
Churches in general would like to legislate their religious doctrines into laws that we would all have to conform to.
the Ol'Buzzard

BBC said...

The Mormon Church is not interested in the concerns of anyone outside their church.

Actually, when I had my parts house in Utah I really enjoyed working with them and the treatment I got from them even though I'm not a Mormon.

And they never did once try to convert me. I'm more okay with the Mormon church (at least the folks I knew) than I am the fucking Catholic church.

BBC said...

But some of them mormon women are good cocksuckers, but so are some of those catholic women, so that score is a wash.

Kulkuri said...

The thought I've had about Mittens and his refusal to release his tax returns is maybe he hasn't given a full 10% to the church and he doesn't want that brought to light!!

I agree with you on how tithing should not be considered charity. It should be in the same category as union dues!!

The Blog Fodder said...

Religious organizations that spend donations, tithe or otherwise, to further political causes should lose their tax free status. There are lots of other NGOs to do that.