Thursday, July 04, 2019

Allowing the Right to Define Patriotism

Our local NBC TV affiliate asked a poll question regarding the level of patriotism I have for this country.  It was possible to answer one of 3 ways, extremely proud, moderately proud, and not proud at all.

First of all I don't do the patriotism gig.  Its a trap others use to relegate other folks into convenient pigeon holes of their own designs. 

Once placed into a convenient cubbyhole, we are then judged based not on how we feel about this country, but how others think we feel about this country.  Besides, I do not give a rat's ass about what others think of my patriotism. I am not on this planet to live up to anyone's notion of patriotism.

I did find it interesting that broken down to party, 76% of the Republicans polled indicated they were extremely proud of their country at the moment.  I find this disturbing on so many levels considering who we have squatting in the White House at the moment.

Keep it 'tween the ditches

5 comments:

Kulkuri said...

Patriotism shouldn't be about who's squatting in the White House, altho that may color one's opinion on patriotism. I've always looked askance at Super Patriots, mainly because they do it in so awfully tacky ways!

“Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.” - Samuel Johnson, 1775

The Blog Fodder said...

To me, patriotism is like religion. Live it, don't talk it.

PipeTobacco said...

Hey Mike:

Glad you are back!!!

I think “Blog Fodder” says it perfectly.

PipeTobacco

Nan said...

What the RWNJs define as patriotism isn't. It's actually a disgusting hybrid of nationalism and militarism.

yellowdoggranny said...

the republicans have made patriotism a dirty word