Tuesday, July 16, 2019

At the Dentist

I did not get a cavity until I was in college.  And when I went to the dentist, he was awed by the fact it was a baby tooth with the cavity.  I still had several I had not lost yet.  Last one fell out when I was in my mid twenties.

So, knowing I had tough teeth, I spent these many years testing them with neglect, tortuous use, and generally poor stewardship.

In recent months I began a dental restoration project.  On a bimonthly schedule, each visit brings me closer to the teeth I used to know but are now but flitting memories. Nothing can be done to bring back that glittering Hollywood smile I had at some brief moment in time back when I was a punk.  Dr Sloan assures me though, another solid set of chompers is more than possible.

The punishment I have put my molars and company through the years has been sad.  But all of them hung in there and gave me very little trouble but for a crack here or there, a chip after too many bottle openings, manic ice chewing, and some wear due to night time teeth grinding.  Add in the spotty dental hygiene and the few and far between Dental visits, and its a wonder they are not all junk.

Another one of the unsung and unnoticed pluses in my life, my great teeth were taken for granted.  And while I have few regrets, the mistreatment of my dental buddies is certainly one of them.

Later ........................................

3 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I spent part of my day at hair dresser.
Coffee is on

PipeTobacco said...

Interestingly enough I am reading you post as I am waiting in the dental office myself. Hoping for the best. TMJ is my nemesis.

PipeTobacco

yellowdoggranny said...

I am still thrilled with my new toofs