Monday, July 22, 2019

Anaxyrus americanus

Ran into this little guy on the trail across Sam Page in Mary's woods this morning.  He or she hopped into my leg as Maggie ran by us hurrying to whatever smell came next to the stupid canine.  So, I had my Kodak moment for the day without looking for one.  I like it when the image of the day just appears without any thought or planning on my part.

According to The Frog Lady, This little guy or gal is an American Toad, the only species of toad we have here in Maine.  I had one that lived in my basement and garage for over a decade.  He got so big, he could only manage a couple of inches when he hopped.  Eventually he could not make it up the three steps to the garage and I found him all shriveled up at the end of a winter.  Miss that little guy.

It would seem I only have a talent for snapping pictures of critters or plants too slow or stupid to beat feet when I am near.  I really like plants, they sit still for the most part.

So, its the slow, numb, and dumb I am able to chronicle.  And  and that's just fine. 

Remember, Life may be better under a Sunsetter

On the other hand, Life is worse in a hearse.



3 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Toads are indeed wonderful creatures. From my perspective as a biologist, they too often get the short schrift when compared to frogs, but that is sad, IMO.

PipeTobacco

yellowdoggranny said...

Dexter (sigh*) used to catch the tiny little frogs and just carry them around in his mouth..he wasn't a killer..he was a catcher...you could see the sides of his mouth being pushed out by the frog trying to hop around in his mouth..used to crack me up..

Ol'Buzzard said...

I have a red belly snake living in my rock wall in my front yard. Never thought of taking a picture; but by the time I got my camera out it would be gone.
the Ol'Buzzard