Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Useless Drugs & Dreams of Rosie

My first colonoscopy, 15 or so years ago, was a fun event for me. Well, the prep the day before was not, but the actual procedure was. I was allowed to watch it on the monitor as Dr. Abraham went on mission and captured some enemy polyps for later interrogation. Once they were secured properly in their test tube jails, he then ruthlessly and offering no quarter, wiped out the remaining few with his laser. They went poof in clouds of vapor. 

This time, all I remember is rolling over on my side as a green scrub ( everyone in that room was a green scrub. they had stripped me of my glasses ) ..... a green scrub holding a syringe with white liquid in it, said:

"You are going to feel some heat as I inject this."

I thought it felt cold. That was my last complete thought as another green scrub shoved a mask on my face and told me to breath deep.

Everything went black. I woke up in the recovery room less than 30 minutes later like nothing at all had happened. They had used different drugs on me;  coldly efficient drugs leaving me only a foggy brain sporting a mild headache as my reward.

Dr. Abraham came in and gave me the good news: 

"No more colonoscopies for you".

At the time I was so foggy, I wasn't positive this was good news. I figured some bad news was about to follow.

"Not a polyp anywhere or anything other than normal. Go home and recuperate. Unless something odd happens, this is probably the last colonoscopy you will ever have."

On the way home, my daughter and I stopped at Firehouse Subs and I had my usual "Hook and Ladder", only this time I ordered the big one.

The rest of my Monday I spent sluggish and out of sorts. Tuesday morning however I awakened to my voice singing lyrics from a Joan Armatrading song:

"Awe Rosie, don't you do that to the boys"

I love it when I wake up either laughing or singing.

Keep it 'tween the ditches ....................................

______________________

The obvious choice for a tune is the song I was singing yesterday morning. Here is "Rosie", off  Joan's first album I think, "Track Record".


2 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I just had my colonosphy end of January and I was knock out. Results is over on my blog.

The Blog Fodder said...

I was out for my colonoscopy and endoscopy last July. I dont know if they met in the middle and shook hands or what. Anyhow, no new diverticula.
Had an MRI on Friday night, head and neck. Never had one before. I was an hour inside the machine with my eyes closed so I wouldn't feel claustrophobic and just listened to the orchestra. The machine has about 3 dozen sounds and combinations of sounds, none pleasant.