Saturday, March 28, 2020

Mr Moderator

Okay.  Awhile back I agreed to become a moderator for a local Facebook page named "What's Up in Acton".  It is a closed group whose price of admission is having some connection, however nebulous, to the town of Acton, Maine.  The owner (administrator) of the site has a vision of a local site that does not feed the fires of hate and discontent.  His site is for publishing all things local - schedules, information, congratulations, and lovely images of pets and sunsets taken by local folk.  He wants the mood to be pleasant and civil.  I like the site and like his vision of it.

I did not appreciate at the time I took the job, that I would have to deal with a**holes like myself.  "Clockwork Orange" plays in my head every time I delete a post or shut down commenting.  I replay the movie and the scenes where "Alex", freshly out of detention, is accosted by two of his old partners in crime.  Only now, they are cops.  As it turns out, criminals do make better sheriffs it seems.

Confrontation and bad blood have their place out here in the weird world that is the Internet.  Everything has its place in the Internet.  There's plenty of room for hate and discontent.  I can find all I want.  I don't want to, nor should I, put that hate and discontent on a page that does not embrace it.

It's the polite thing to do and that's why I'm a speech cop of sorts.  It seems to me, especially given the times we are living in, Freedom of Speech is best exercised with common sense for the common good.

Keep it 'tween the ditches ......................................................

6 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

Amen and I wish you all patience and courage.

Ol'Buzzard said...

From now on can we will call you 'Mr. Feelgood?'

Sounds worthwhile as a respite for present tensions. But, be careful. I have found that volunteering to lead projects more often turn into a demanding, full time, unpaid position.
the Ol'Buzzard


peppylady (Dora) said...

Hope it does well and succeed

MRMacrum said...

Blog Fodder -I have been at now over a year. It is becoming harder now that we are closing in on 4,000 members. Acton only has a population of 2500.

Ol'Buzzard - As I said to Blog Fodder, I have been at this awhile. and my previous experience on the Marijuana committee hardened me to the thankless job of volunteering.

peppylady - Oh it's a success alright. Membership is exploding.

yellowdoggranny said...

send them all out into the parking lot and tell them to go fuck themselves

PipeTobacco said...

Moderating any site, let alone FaceBook seems nothing but aggravation to me. I would need a lot of bourbon AND my pipes for solace.

PipeTobacco