Monday, June 11, 2018

Cancer

My wife had breast cancer surgery last week.  The prognosis is good, her spirits are good, and Life looks to be back to some sort of normalcy in a year or so, once all the chemo and radiation regimens are done.  That is as long as her recovery goes as smoothly as the diagnosis and pre-surgical period went.

Her particular type of cancer is invasive lobular carcinoma.  Basically it is cancer that has escaped the lobules in the breast and settled elsewhere, usually attacking the lymph nodes to begin with.  She had a partial mastectomy and 5 lymph nodes removed. 

Just the word cancer coming out of a doctor's mouth made me feel like I had swallowed a brick.  There is no worse feeling I have had in memory.  But the medical folks we had were so professional and upbeat, our initial feeling that Life is over only lasted long enough to get us wrapped up into the new battle we were to face.  And I say we, because well, I may not be suffering from the cancer and have no idea how bad it can be, I am tagging along with someone who is experiencing the Big C first hand.  I know what it is like to be married to it.  That ain't no cake walk either.

It looks to be a smother trail from now on compared to the pre-surgery period.  From the original diagnosis in October 2017 right up to surgery day last Thursday, uncertainty and fear of the unknown permeated our outlooks.

Now at least, something has been done proactively.  I won't say we (especially my wife) have relaxed.  Our anxiety level however has dropped much of the fear and settled us into cope mode. 

Jeez, it boggles my mind that I can talk so casually about it, but well, it is what is happening in my life at the moment and I felt the need to share. 

90% of the positive in all this is my wife's attitude.  To her this is nothing but a pain in her ass.  It is getting in the way of her business and she is not happy.  Her outlook is let's deal with it and move on.  What a bad ass she is.

Keep it 'tween the ditches ....................................

___________________________________________________

Image from Health & Symptoms

6 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Geez Mike.... I am sorry this is happening to your wife and you. It is workable, however. Even the chemo is workable. My sister had breast cancer with what sounds like a similar treatment after surgery. Best thing I can suggest to do is to have your wife drink as much fluids as possible during radiation a DVD chemo. It helps.

PipeTobacco said...

Damn autocorrect! A DVD was meant to be "and". Sorry.

BBC said...

Hope it goes well...

Ol'Buzzard said...

Bro, My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer a little over two years ago. She had her surgery and radiation and is on some powerful medication - and she is doing fine. The word cancer scared the hell out of me - more so than my wife. Like your wife, mine faced the treatment and was braver then me. The advances in cancer treatment take giant steps every year and recoveries are high when caught early.
Please know that there are people like me that know what you are going through with a spouse facing cancer treatment - and my wife sends her best to your wife. If you ever feel the need to talk let me know and I will e-mail my telephone number.

There are major support systems for women with breast cancer and they are helpful.

take care -
the Ol'Buzzard

MRMacrum said...

Pipe Tobacco - Thanks Pipe. Cancer is not quite as scary as it once was. Hopefully a cure, or maybe a preventative medicine will be developed. As to fluids, well, my wife has always been on a fluids kick what with her life long battle with migraines.

BBC - Thanks Billy. That is all we can hope for.

Ol'Buzzard - My wife was assigned a kind of coach to guide her through the myriad of tests, consultations and links to outside groups. I have to say I am impressed with how together and informative they have been. Billing on the other hand, wwell, not exactly a nightmare, but the system could definitely use some improving. Every discrepancy has been over chump change ( less than $10). Just enough to screw with my CPA Wife's notion of good accounting practices.

Anonymous said...

I walked this path with my husband who was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2010. He had surgery and did chemo for six months. It is now eight years after the surgery and meds, and all is well. I wish the same for your wife and you. Hang in there, and be each other's support. Tell her she has fans sending her good wishes from the far north coast of California.