Monday, April 08, 2024

There's Someone in My Head, but It's Not Me


So Maine is once again in the national spotlight; not for anything the residents, bureaucrats, or politicians did. Maine happens to be one of 13 states to have the best vantage points to witness the planet's most recent solar eclipse.

The sweet spot here is up country around Presque Isle, Lincoln and Greenville. Motels and hotels have been booked solid for months up that way. The Maine Turnpike is all fucked up because so many folks from away want to witness something that happens all the time. Well not all the time in People time, but it sure is a regular occurrence in the Universe.

I considered driving up to Ground Zero to take a peak. Hmm.......... 

Do I really want to drive 3 1/2 hours to see something that lasts a few minutes? I took another toke and decided to stream the event later in the comfort of my own living room. Dealing with traffic and obnoxious tourist types just so I can burn out the retinas of my eyes on a Monday doesn't seem like much fun. 

Other than temporarily boosting the economies in a narrow ribbon of America, all I can hope for is that this may finally be the day of the Rapture. Evangelical Christians have been hoping and counting on proving that yeah, they were really right and they are willing to die to prove you heathens have your collective heads up your collective asses. We'll show ya. You can have the planet. We have another place to fuck up now.

If we are lucky we might even catch a glimpse of them ascending into the heavens. At least there will be a glut of new used homes available to put a dent in the recent Housing crunch. Used car prices and the price of Bibles will plummet. But best of all, I won't have to listen to them flap their pious lips anymore.

When I sat down at dark thirty this morning, I did not intend to rain on anyone's parade. Apparently I was a tad cranky from my sleepless night. I brought the rain with me and before I had finished my first sentence, any parade I was talking about would be a rain out.

Hope the eclipse is everything the fans expected. ........ Enjoy.

________________________

For my musical selection for this post, I had not considered the album,  "Dark Side of the Moon", recorded in 1973 by Pink Floyd. But them clever Google grunts pointed me to a 1994 Youtube video titled, "Brain Damage / Eclipse". The video is dated. It reflects the political scene of the mid 1990's and back. The points have not changed. Still relevant today; only the lunatics have been replaced by newer Lunatics.

The Lunatics are still in the grass. And now there are more of them.


BTW - The image at the top I created from screen shots I took while the video played. Came out nicely I think.

2 comments:

Nan said...

We're in Arkansas and will experience totality. The eclipse certainly has served as a great excuse to have various activities leading up to and following it. A real boon for tourism. Hot Springs has had stuff happening since last week: free concerts in a downtown park, for example. The state DOT says traffic is heavier than normal, possibly with people heading for wherever they have hotel or camping reservations. Not an issue for us when all we'll have to do is hope the clouds moving up from Texas move slowly. Right now the sun is shining but the big event is still 4 hours away.

Anonymous said...

It was bright. It was dark. It was bright again. I spent most of the time trying to keep my ass from rolling around the sidewalk. But my neighbor Michael thought it was good time. But no one had a better time than me watching him doing Elvis impressions. I love my neighbor.