Thursday, July 13, 2023

Now & Then

Today I am parked in front of my computer, sitting in my own sweat and trying to find my voice again. It's hard to think when the sweat runs like piss. But I finally remembered why I sat down. ............

Hot enough to breed sheep temps and what many fellow Mainers consider blistering , Hellfire weather from the Satanic hinterlands further south. 

While in Florida, many may claim it's not the heat, its the stupidity; here in Maine, it is definitely the humidity. Unlike Florida being permanently stuck on stupid, the stupidity  here 'bouts comes and goes.

Yep, a nasty sweat dripping summer has a clenched grip on our short hairs here in Vacationland of late. Life passes us by in the Slow Lane most days. With this imported heat from away, my pace has slowed to an middlin crawl. I know I would like to see the pace pick up some. Lookin forward to Fall, I'll tell ya.

I would like to look somewhere, anywhere in America for some sympathy. I can't do it. Not with a straight face anyway. I am pretty sure I have it better than most. Matter of fact, given how dire some situations are currently, I have no reason to complain.

Everyone anywhere, near and far from the everywhere we all suffer together in, are trapped into what appears to be our new normal instead of the old, odd and seldom seen weather. Those "storms of the century" are now occurring every year somewhere.  No one it seems, has escaped some version of extreme climate conditions. Large populations of suffering bastards from coast to coast are feeling the sting of Mother Nature's wrath.

It didn't have to be this way; ..... No,......... but that's all I'mma gonna say.

The Music Library that came with my trusty Windows 7 PC so many years ago has been dying in fits and starts. I believe it is not long for this world now. The missing and dead parts have overwhelmed its ability to do anything more than play from the lists I created and the CDs already ripped into its gulliwots.

One more reason to replace the PC with that rejuvenated and jacked up Windows 10 tower I have had gathering dust for I guess, a year or so now. But, I hate switching to a new computer. Takes forever for it to get used to me. .... Hmm, I guess workin wounded doesn't make much sense either. ..... We'll see.

The great music crash in my PC has left me with over 7 hours of unnamed music stuffed into one folder the computer has decided to label "Unknown". I opened it and found some of the playlists I had lost. They were intermixed with no discernible plan or organization. What was worse, most of the tunes were only marked with a number; no name or titles.

I decided that I was still recuperating from the last weekend or maybe even the one before, so I sat down and began to play each song and type in the appropriate names. The first song up was "Old Folk's Boogie", by Little Feat. If I had to pick only one CD to take with me to a desert Isle, it would be the Little Feat Live album. I always liked "Old Folks Boogie", only now I not only like it, it has more meaning for me than ever before.

So I am happy happy as I begin writing this post and listening to the mish mashed 7 hour playlist from Hell. The 10th song came up. It was and still is my favorite song of all. No equivocation, no doubts, "Willin", by Little Feat was my inspiration when I was young and numb. I stopped typing and just listened...... Then I listened to it again.

It occurred to me that "Willin" and "Old Folks Boogie" were appropriate tunes to define my path from the cradle to the upcoming grave somewhere, sometime when I least or maybe will expect it.

When I was twenty, I could, would was "Willin" to take on any challenge; 

... if you give me; weed,whites,  and wine

And you show me a sign

I'll be willin', to be movin'


And now days, "Old Folks Boogie" says it all.

  ... you know that you're over the hill

When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill

_________________________________

Please enjoy this Little Feat "Two-Fer".  One is about the past coming back and the other represents the in my face Present.

Oh, Turning them up to WOW is mandatory as long as you have the room to tap your feet.

Keep it 'tween the ditches ...................



4 comments:

BBC said...

My old Windows 7 machine is vapor locking a lot but I hate to get rid of it, it was such a good unit for many years.

MRMacrum said...

BBC - Yeah, I am really happy with my current 'puter.It has some issues, but I am just not ready yet.

yellowdoggranny said...

I have got to learn not to 'oh I can fix this.' this..

peppylady (Dora) said...

I don't have any plans to replace any of our techie device. If anything going to be place will be our tablet.
Coffee is on and safe.