Friday, August 07, 2020

Drunk & Disorderly

Turning a deaf ear to the obnoxious noises coming from south of here down there inside the DC Beltway where the empty suits reign, I have decided that tonight I would sip Evan Williams whiskey from my 100th anniversary Stainless Steel Stanley Flask.  And to fill those empty moments between swigs, I'll slow scroll through my FB feed and listen to music turned up to Wow.  I will know I have reached full on, in your face inebriation when the music is no longer heard but rather felt through the hairs standing up straight on the back of my neck.

More than a few swigs later, I realize I just don't care anymore.  The alcohol has done its job.  Tomorrow, I'll pick up where I left off, restack the worry, the fret, pack up my anger, and fall back into line like the rest of the citizens who don't dare to guess but still worry what tomorrow might bring.

My new normal is starting to fit me now.  I am coming to grips with a different Reality packing different rules than the ones that ran things not even a year ago.

I think we have finally arrived in the 21st century.

Buckle up ..................

And BTW - the image has nothing to do with the post.  I just liked it.  It's a close up of a personal custom build I put together over a decade ago now.  I loved that bike.

2 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Woah... how many speeds does that bicycle have? It looks like it could be 30 if the front sprockets are also three or four. Do you have a photo of the whole bicycle?

Drinking sounds very fun and enjoyable! But, I have actually only drank alcohol twice since I gave up my pipe (almost 30 months now). It felt different.... a) my FIL passed away and he was my last drinking buddy, so I haven’t had many opportunities (both were wedding receptions), and b) it just was not as enjoyable without my pipe. It was fine, do not get me wrong.... it is just that I have kind of realized that the primary reason I enjoyed drinking was because it would enhance (magnify, intensify, or whatever the hell the best word may be) my enjoyment of smoking my pipes. I always looked forward to drinking when I did, I figured out, because I would so look forward to the moment after having a few drinks when I would light my pipe.

So, at least for as long as I continue refraining from my pipe, it just feels a bit superfluous to drink for me. I don’t know if that makes sense. But it is what I have come to doing these days. I am still thinking of going back to the pipe. If I do, I might just purposefully have a few shots and beers before my first lighting up. :) After this long away, I bet it would (pleasantly) knock me on my posterior. :)

PipeTobacco

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm torn between wishing I could drink reasonably and glad I can't cause this past 31/2 years would have sent me on a redneck asskicking bender..