Thursday, August 24, 2023

A Tale of Two Knives

I guess I was given my first pen knife when I was five or six. If memory serves, it is the small broken one I saved and is now on the wall over my work bench in the basement. It just wasn't rugged enough for my clueless and brutal treatment of it as a youngster.

I have consistently had a pocket knife of some kind on my person ever since. I have gone through an impressive number and different types of knives over the years. Some I broke trying to force the knife to punch above its weight. But I think most of the knives I have owned, I lost or they were stolen. ....... I know it was You, Bob W., who stole my brand new Leatherman back in the mid 1980's. You're an asshole Bob. I hope it broke on you, you low life.

So anyway, I have owned many blades. "Shrade" and its subsidiary "Uncle Henry" were and still are my favorite pocket knives. Uncle Henry knives had a "Lose it, Free Replacement" policy I took advantage of several times over the years.

The knife in the image on the right I bought in the late 1980's down to Springvale Hardware. I bought it because it was the perfect length to cut up 3" foam insulation. At 35 plus years old, it was showing some wear. 

About six weeks ago I was sure I had finally lost this knife also. 

It had been MIA since ....... well, a long time. I decided I would try to find another new one............... Problem ....... Shrade stopped manufacturing them 20 plus years ago. I hit the used market on eBay and found an outfit selling knives that had been confiscated at airports in the Lone Star State. I spotted the one on the left, ordered it, paid too much and 3 days later it landed on my doorstep.

Five minutes, maybe ten minutes later I found the old friend in a spot that defied logic. I must have been flying high when I decided a bookshelf 7 feet off the ground was a good spot to leave my knife. But there it was and now I have twins. ........... 

The one I bought out of Texas looks better, but it actually is not as solid as my old friend. The blade is a tad sloppy and it came through with an edge that had been insulted with a grinding wheel. Almost looked like saw blades. Took me some time to hand hone it into some semblance of usable dignity. I think it winked at me when I was done.

After I was finished with the new arrival, I touched up the edge on my old friend. I don't think I have ever seen it with a sharper edge. 

Nothing quite like a freshly sharpened blade to make a young boy smile.

Later .................................

_____________________

Only one song came to mind. I owned this song on a 45 RPM record I special ordered at a record store in Tampa, Florida. Please enjoy "Mack the Knife" by Bobby Darin from 1958. Turned up to Wow is the best level.


3 comments:

BBC said...

My current pocket knife is a buck, I think it was made by Shrade but it isn't the knife like they made back in the old days. I still have my old hunting knife, it is an Uncle Henry but I have never been all that impressed with it.

Kulkuri said...

I've had a variety of knives, but these days I carry a Leatherman.

MRMacrum said...

BBC - Never liked Buck knives. Felt they were too heavy to be called pocket knives. I do own one, but it gathers dust in a dresser drawer.The only hunting knife I still have is a Boy Scout 4.5 inch blade made by Shrade I think. It came as part of a Hatchet/knife set. Don't know what happened to the hatchet, but I still have the knife. Never could understand why anyone needed a blade longer than 6 inches. Always considered them nothing but show offs.

Kulkiri - The Leatherman Bob W. stole from me 30 plus years ago is the only one I ever had, and I only had it for a couple of days. Fuckin Asshole. I hate thieves.