Sunday, November 24, 2019

OK Boomer

So, I just finished stomping on some Millennial's sensitive parts.  Didn't mean to, just voicing my opinion.  Matter of fact, I just now received a Facebook icon in the corner of my computer screen telling me he replied again.  Damn kid is wearing me out.

So anyway, today's encounter with the harsh judgement of another combined with my post yesterday on FB regarding my White Privilege and suddenly I found something to blog about.

It is very rare for me to even take note of pissing anyone off on the intertubes.  But the total breakdown of communication between myself and this young man brought the differences between generations into stark contrast.  It was when he started out one comment, "OK Boomer', that I realized what we had here was someone with a generational ax to grind.

I tried not to get sucked into the generational thing.  And upon reviewing my responses, other than calling him "Junior" once, I did a fair job of staying with my point.  In fairness, he did also.  But he had laid the foundation of a Boomer facing that which they had a part in creating.  And he exuded an attitude of resenting me for it.

What it appears we both did was steadfastly decide to not understand each other.  And that's okay, its what generations do to each other.

Later ...................................................

10 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Mike:

Glad to have you back here. That annoying phrase, “Ok, Boomer” rankles me too.

PipeTobacco

MRMacrum said...

Pipe - Actually, it does not bother me at all. I actually feel some pride at being identified as a curmudgeon and contrarian. That was the look I was going for.

PipeTobacco said...

(Grin)

I do not mind the curmudgeon/contrarian moniker.... but for me “Oh, Boomer” as I have heard it used (not at me) was used in a dismissive way. THAT rankles me.

PipeTobacco

MRMacrum said...

Pipe - Its definitely dismissive. But I just smile at the knowledge that Millennials have not even made a mark yet and by dismissing me, they just show their ignorance. That attitude, if continued unabated, will likely end with them making many of the same mistakes we did. I know if Trump wins, I won't be blaming Boomers, I will be blaming them because more than likely they won't come out in numbers enough to sway the vote. I do hope I am wrong though.

Nan said...

I think the phrase is funny. Boomers who get upset by it have no sense of either history or humor. Every generation thinks the ones younger are useless slackers and the ones older are out of touch geezers.

MRMacrum said...

Nan - Thinking the other are clueless fools is a time honored tradition. And now that I find myself at the opposite end looking back, I am positive both of us are right.

Ol'Buzzard said...

There is a huge gap between us and them. We have lived life - a different life that they can't imagine...no cell phones etc.
We might tolerate them but they see us as unimportant.
the Ol'Buzzard

MRMacrum said...

Ol'Buzzard - Generational squabbling is part of our DNA.

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm not actually a boomer..I don't think.born in 43..but as far as they can do ..is shove that boomer expression up their asses.

MRMacrum said...

JACKISUE - I wonder if my parents and their peers had the same kiss my ass attitude we do with Millenials?