Friday, June 17, 2016

Irrational Anxiety

Irrational anxiety, already ramped up due to election year stupidity, is reaching into the type of madness that followed 9/11.  Gun stores are selling out of weapons and ammo.  Stupid politicians make claims and place blame that have no basis in reality.  Irrational evangelicals make claims that God did this to punish Gays.  And America falls back into the stifling fear that grips it whenever something no one can control happens.

No matter what we do in the future, whether it be based on common sense or the typical knee jerk over reaction, Isis has won this round.  They did not have to do anything more than tap into the hate that flows under our national skin.  We were too anxious and apparently eager to give them that which they seek ...............  our fear.

Why do so many people seem to enjoy being afraid?  Anger I can understand.  But illogical fear?

Well done America, well done.

Later .............................................

4 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

Why do so many people seem to enjoy being afraid?

Back before Fred Reed lost his own mind and himself became a Trump-like fearmonger, I use to enjoy his columns. He mulled over that same question as to why Americans like to swim in a sea of fears. His take, which I agree with to a certain extent, is that in general their own lives are so boring and predictable they will grab anything that makes them feel alive. Combine that with a lack of comprehension, or willingness to learn, about how today's complex world works and as always people fear what they don't understand.

I'd personally have to throw in the idea that since the middle class is collapsing economically, and with it the old sense that everyone else in the world should immediately bow to our demands, certain simpleminded individuals look for conspiracies as to why that is happening. It's always easier to blame others for your failures in character or knowledge.

Unknown said...

It's been a bad week. It sounds petty, my saying that, since I haven't lsot anyone I knew htis week like so many in Florida did.

But it's been a bad week to be a human.

yellowdoggranny said...

we are fucked

Ol'Buzzard said...

The whole Second Amendment hype is irrational. I am over seventy years old and I have never needed a weapon to protect myself (except during Vietnam) and I certainly don't need an assault rife to keep me safe. It is the insecure open carry retards that brandish guns in public places that scare the hell out of me.
the Ol'Buzzard