Saturday, October 18, 2014

Ohio - Post Script


I have typed many words describing the drama, the comedy, and the hum drum of my first trip anywhere on an airplane since the mid 1990's.  There is a rather detailed and slightly twisted travel log wasting away in the draft section of this blog. .......................

After re-reading the blow by blow, I decided that posting it as it was would be akin to making the neighbors sit through all 300 slides of Jack, Diane and the kids having the time of their lives in the Disney-Six Flags- Harry Potter Universe.  Jack and Diane and the kids have seen all 300 slides five times before and they still can't wait to run through them again. The neighbors lassoed into sitting in uncomfortable chairs and smiling while tossing in the occasioanal Ooh or Aah  just to be polite.  They would rather have a pick stuck in their eye, .....  but hey,  what the Hell, Jack 's pouring drinks and Diane's keepin the chip bowl filled....................



So in 100 words or more, my trip to Cincinnati ........................

The flight to Dayton was just like the Southwest ads on TV.  Friendly folks, smooth and on time.  The flight back .... well, that was the other side of the coin.  While Lis was driving us to her new apartment, I realized the last time I had been in the Cincinnati area was in 1978.  I spent the night in jail.  Figuring that was a fluke, I felt pretty sure I could stay out of trouble this trip.  Although, it might be interesting to see the reactions of my kid and my wife as they bailed me out.......

Lis and Mr.Man's apartment is a huge two bedroom, two bath, terrace in the front overlooking a garden apartment nirvana plopped in the urban sprawl north of the Queen City.  Rent is high, but hey, my kid has a paycheck now that can handle it.  Something close to pride fills me when I think about that.  Guess we all want our kids to do well.

BA and I had 3 days to eat more than usual, drink more than usual, and walk more than usual.  Seems I was either riding in a car, walking somewhere or shoving some grub in my pie hole. with an alcoholic drink of some sort close at hand to wash it down with.  ......... We spent a sobering 5 hours at the Underground Railroad Museum. ....... We paid for the privilege of cooking our own meat on a communal grill while swilling great local wine and brew. ..........  And we saw a city that was up and not down and out.  Cincinnati rocked.

....... Then there was A Tavola, a nondescript hole in the wall on some street down to the OTR  I guess the OTR is the hip, too cool for school neighborhood located just uptown of downtown Cincinnati.  Galleries , eccentric shops, and specialty cuisine of the bar type.   The sidewalks were packed.  We went there for some Mexican, but it was 1 1/2 hour wait.  Across the street was A Tavola.  We were hungry and went in.  No wait, so we sat down ........... probably the best pizza I have ever had pass my gums and into my tum.  BA actually let loose with a little shiver after her first bite.

All in all, it was a great visit with my kid, her man, and some of the fine folks who choose to live in America's Heartland.  I will be going back ....... especially since Southwest coughed up two $200 flight vouchers for fucking up our return flight ........  And no, I don't want to talk about it.

Keep it 'tween the ditches .................
_________________________________________

The images at the top are, well, just frickin cool.  Back some years, the Cincinnati Ballet PR folks came up with that dynamite poster promoting their local ballet company.  It was so popular, they use it still.  Last year the company had a contest to see who could come up with the best copy, parody, whatever of the original.  My kid's Roller Derby group won.  Both of them are excellent in my opinion.

4 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

Good times were had by all. We all want to hear about your return flight.
Love the posters!

Ol'Buzzard said...

Travel can be great but the best part is always returning home. We still have some color in the western mountains, but after the Nor'Easter predicted it will probably be all gone.

Welcome home.
the Ol'Buzzard

Surly said...

I'm still following your blog, and I had been wondering if your daughter is still playing roller derby. I'm still skating for DC. We played in Akron and Cleveland this year, but not Cincinnati.

MRMacrum said...

Blog Fodder - The return flight? I knew we were in trouble when out the right window I saw a mechanic raise a cover on the engine. It went down hill from there.

Ol'Buzzard - Yeah, returning home definitely drops the stress level

Carla - Yes, my daughter still rolls with the ladies. The poster is of some members of her team before she joined this last summer.