Friday, August 31, 2007

I Pods


I don't plug in when I ride my bike. In the woods or on the road. Matter of fact, I don't even own one those new fangled "eye-pods". I borrowed my daughters Disc Boy some years back and cranked it up. Found Led Zepplin's "Whole Lotta Love" turned up to wow to be more of a distraction than an enhancement to the ride.

So I went back to enjoying riding and thinking of the songs in my head. I still get to enjoy the tune, but without that "in my face, pay attention to me instead of that tree" insistence actual tunes blasting into my ear drums create in the old cranial void.

It's a rather bleak and empty space up there between my ears. Combine the the old fart ears that have to have tunes at full tilt boogie and the sound bounces around like someone hollering "HELP, I am lost in the Grand Canyon". When I feel my skull begin to bulge from the inside, I know I have about the right volume.The downside is my inability to combine the riding with the chewing gum syndrome.

It's odd though. I love sitting at the 'puter in the dark hours when I can't sleep, slapping the headphones on and turning on the tunes while I surf the web and make snide remarks in various forums.

Maybe riding is something I want to enjoy selfishly, without any other pleasure horning in on the action. To keep riding seperate and uncluttered without musical reminders that I am not really away from it all. I ride to escape. I listen to music to escape. But combine the two and it has the opposite effect. Go figure.

1 comment:

Apertome said...

I don't even own an iPod, and I never listen to music while riding. I'm amazed what some people will do, especially when riding on the road.

I think I might even enjoy listening to music while riding, but I haven't even tried ... it just seems too dangerous.